The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Clear pic showing proper direction for out water pump pulley to go on?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AL92

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 12, 2003
regina, SK_Canada
My haynes and chilton have crappy small pictures that dont' show proper way for water pump pulley to go on ..one guy said flat face out and cupped face in but one has hump in middle and the other side goes in a bit so not sure understand the cupped analogy.

Anyone have an actual photo showing which side is out or in?

well this picture doesnt show much but ill explain the small cup pulley goes on the inside the cup facing the block the other larger pulley goes on flat side facing out....

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If the outter pulley is a used one, you should be able to see the circles where the bolt heads tourqed to the face. But yes, the cupped side of the small one and large one are supposed to point to the water pump.
Mike

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have searched all over and need to know how the water pump pulleys are suppose to go on. I know that the power steering pulley goes with the cup facing in. Does the alternator pulley go the same way, or cup facing out? I have read it both ways in this thread. I just want to know. Thanks.

The cup part of the inner fits into the cup part of the outer. The belts edges are then about 1/8" apart. Some people put one (usually outer) or both on backwards which adds an outwards offset so the belt(s) don't line up with their pulleys and destroy the belt(s). Sight down the belts to see if the pulleys are lined up with them.

Here's a pic of the outer pulley on backwards (alt belt is removed). Notice how far apart the inner and outer pulleys are so the outer pulley does not line up with the alternator pulley below (due to the large offset). This will completely destroy the alt belt and often squeels also.

Attachments

• Water pump pulley on backwards.jpg
    Water pump pulley on backwards.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 4,910
Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back