The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Choosing the right turbine housing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8s_are_slow

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2002
Panama City, Florida
I know everyone has their brand preference when it comes to turbos but I plan to go with a Borg Warner S476 SXE here soon to try and put down some good power. Only problem I'm having is trying to determine the best turbine housing (divided T4) to use.

I see a .90, 1.00, 1.10, and 1.25 are my options to choose from. Now this a pretty large turbo, so I'm trying to get the best spool possible while still having plenty of power on tap.

I was think of using the .90 housing being that it's the smallest for the best spool and if back pressure or egt's get too high, I can fork out $160ish for another housing. But who likes throwing away money? Anyway, just wondering how some of you bigger turbo guys are going about selecting your housings Thanks.

Well, I know the opinions are gonna come pouring out and I get it. But still doesn't answer the question. As for how much power? All off it. Lol. Mainly a track car overall.

And let's say I don't go with the .90 housing. How do I then decide which other housing would be best to go with that remains between the other three?

Went ahead and purchased the BW S476 SXE today with the 1.25 housing. That being said (so that I don't hear any griping about it) and to stay on topic, still wondering how people select a correct size housing. Trial and error or some other method?

Anyone able to share any insight? I feel that this would be a very good post for lots of people out there that are wondering the same thing, and without a lot of bickering to have to sift through.

And for the record I didn’t recommend the 1.25 A/R housing.
I literally copied text from the description of the S476SX-E that stated the above mentioned A/R recommendation for boost pressures greater than 30psi.

Here’s more info.
Turbo Charger A/R Ratio Sizing How To
http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced Engine Tuning/AR turbo ratio explained.html

I plan to try out the S362SX-E using the 1.10 A/R divided T4 housing and a small runner divided T4 bottom mount Morrison Fab manifold hung off a LR2.4L for weekend warrior/road race track day duty.
I’m hoping for a power band from 4krpm to 8krpm.

I’ve been in contact with a very respectable member of the DSM/Evo community and this is what he told me via PM.

“In my experience the 1.10 will be the one you would want if it is still being produced. Not BW specifically but in testing similar sized turbos with similar sized turbine housings the 1.0 on a 62mm ran into 1.26:1 back pressure at about 27psi where the 1.15 ran out to 40psi and the 1.32 ran above that. That was all Precision which does have a smaller turbine wheel as I recall vs the S360 and S362 BW stuff.”

I'm not stressing over it. They only cost $160 so I can easily swap it out if need be. I want at least 40-50 psi.

Eh, I was talking to Justin Whitesell today and was talking about how Dave Ruby was using a 1.25 housing and how terrible it was and they got it down to a 1.00 housing and doing much better. So I went ahead and ordered that and I'll send back the 1.25 housing. This is why it's nice to know some sort of way to figure that crap out versus trial and error and money wasted. But no biggie "for me" cause I'm handling this. Should have my turbo on Monday though and can't freaking wait.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back