The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

carbon fiber hood and hatch

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sergio from Carbonetics has been talking about doing a BMW CSL style 2g hatch that I've been interested in for a while, but it hasn't happened yet.

I really hope this happens, I would buy that in a heartbeat. I have considered having one fabbed up by a local body guy but would much rather just buy something cf and pre-made

We have two Supporting Vendors who sell good stuff. One sells multiple brands, including CFX, and the other one makes it himself - Carbonetics. The one who sells the hood and hatch talked about early in the thread is CarbonFiberHoods.com. Everyone seems to be happy with that brand.

Sergio from Carbonetics has been talking about doing a BMW CSL style 2g hatch that I've been interested in for a while, but it hasn't happened yet.

I got a CF hood from carbonfiberhoods.com.. they SUCK with their products, customer service was good.. But my hood didnt have the latch portion cut out, didnt have wiper nozzles cut out, didnt have hood prop cut out, Bowed 2 inches on the passenger side, had to destroy it and get it refunded, and my buddy had the SAME hood SAME issues... he also has a CF hatch, not sure what brand but its fadeing not yellowing. i have a VIS now and it is much better quality and fit. they use good quality stuff and have not had one issue with my VIS hood and everything was pre cut. The hood i bought from CFhoods.com was a Carbon Creations/extreme detentions though.

Im gonna call CFEclipse out on saying seibon and VIS use the worst materials... there have been alot of good reviews about these companies and recently i have not seen one that includes complaints about yellowing. they use UV resistant EXOXY AND clear UV coat on their hoods, have a legitimate fiberglass skeleton and a Carbon fiber inlaid by the latch and their hoods are made from 1 sheet of CF fabric. the only complaint i have about VIS is that i wish the skeleton and CF top were all once piece.

I bought the carbon efx hood and hatch combo.....so we'll see how it goes. was gonna get it from cfeclipse but didn't feel comfortable giving 800 bucks to someone on paypal without a conformation number or tracking number, but thats just me.

I bought the carbon efx hood and hatch combo.....so we'll see how it goes. was gonna get it from cfeclipse but didn't feel comfortable giving 800 bucks to someone on paypal without a conformation number or tracking number, but thats just me.

+1 I feel ya.

depending on your experience, I may order from the same company.

What's the point? The CF replacement parts weigh more than stock.

Perhaps he believes that the parts are stock panels wrapped in CF. I know there are a set of doors like that.

Just so everybody is clear. It is a Fiberglass skeleton wrapped in carbon fiber. It is DRAMATICALLY lighter than stock.

I have to slam my hatch down just to get it to latch (Or press down really hard) because it doesn't have the momentum to close on its own weight.

Before I installed my doors I was able to lift 1 with only 2 fingers. I had to use both ARMS to move my gutted doors.

I have problems working on my car on windy days because the wind will literally lift my hood off the hood prop and land on my head. Never had that issue with the stock hood.

What's the point? The CF replacement parts weigh more than stock.

What is about people named "Scott" acting dickish. You're about the third "Scott" that I've met that has these same charatoristics.

As stated eariler, these CF units weigh less then the OEM units.

Has anyone tried putting there 2gb spoiler on that hatch yet? just wondering what a colored one looks like with the cf?

+1 I feel ya.

depending on your experience, I may order from the same company.

Same here, my purchase greatly depends on your experiences. Please update this thread as soon as you can with A LOT of pictures, if you could be so kind.

I was referring to the Evo hood. The stock aluminum Evo 8/9 hood weighs less than a carbon fiber Evo 8/9 replacement hood. I wasn't trying to be "dickish." I was merely trying to understand why you would add weight to your car.

I was referring to the Evo hood. The stock aluminum Evo 8/9 hood weighs less than a carbon fiber Evo 8/9 replacement hood. I wasn't trying to be "dickish." I was merely trying to understand why you would add weight to your car.

my signature says "former car"

it's done did, sorry for taking so long to re-post, ordered the shit exactly three weeks ago to the day, still haven't got a tracking number. so far the moral of the story, if you want it fast, don't go through carbonfiberhoods.com. as far as quality the car is going to paint tonight so I won't be able to tell you till I get it back, guy said two weeks, so we'll see

got a dsm bro! read the o.p. haha!

I'd only pick either up after hearing a few reviews on overall fitment, quality, and customer service. It's hard to throw $800 at something that's never been tested before..

probably the reason you havent gotten a tracking number, its cause carbonfiberhoods are waiting for the manufacturer to fabricate it and then send them the parts for them to send it to you... Probably its gonna take a few more weeks if not a few months.. Been there, done that...

... Probably its gonna take a few more weeks if not a few months.. Been there, done that...

:ohdamn: been exactly 4 weeks and nothing, just called them again and they said the same thing they said the last time. the problem is the car is at paint. took the websites word for the 2-3 week wait time. so now I'm waiting on the parts, and the car wont be done till I get it. if it's gonna take a month, two months, let people know before they order so they don't get f*d, and look like a jackass in front of a business! got a close friend doing the job and I look like a fu*kstain. not thrilled right now!!!! WTF

:ohdamn: been exactly 4 weeks and nothing, just called them again and they said the same thing they said the last time. the problem is the car is at paint. took the websites word for the 2-3 week wait time. so now I'm waiting on the parts, and the car wont be done till I get it. if it's gonna take a month, two months, let people know before they order so they don't get f*d, and look like a jackass in front of a business! got a close friend doing the job and I look like a fu*kstain. not thrilled right now!!!! WTF

should have gone vis:cool:

I HAVE HAD TERRABLE LUCK WITH CARBONFIBERHOODS.COM they suck ass!!! i had to destroy my hood and get a refund because its fitment was HORRIBLE and none of the latches or holes were cut for anything.. that was an Extreme dementions/carbon creations hood.. never buy those... my buddy had the exact same eperience, but the bowing didnt bother him so he kept it.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried putting there 2gb spoiler on that hatch yet? just wondering what a colored one looks like with the cf?
Yeah men, I just did yesterday. Men, it was nerve racking drilling holes in the CF, though.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

:dsm:

Yeah men, I just did yesterday. Men, it was nerve racking drilling holes in the CF, though.

I retract my statement about wingless now. Looks great, but I still don't like you. Lol

I retract my statement about wingless now. Looks great, but I still don't like you. Lol
Thanks. :)
Gofer what hatch are you running?
The hood is a VIS for sure since there's a plate, however, the hatch is somewhat of a mystery. I bought both off a local who's 2g walked and he parted the car. I just so happen to work with him so I just asked him and both the hood and the hatch were on the car when he bought it so he doesn't know either, unfortunately.
Looks good Corey, I first thought you were going to paint the bottom of the spoiler red and leave the top CF. Either way it flows well!
Haha. No. Red on top/CF on the bottom and, eventually, a CF wrap on the roof and not just matte black.

Thanks for the compliments guys, I'm still not running the spoiler on the hatch until I can find a set of OE gaskets for it. I don't like the idea of running CF bolted to CF and leaking water in my hatch everytime it rains.

BTW. The VIS fits great too, however, I can tell a difference in the clearcoat vise the resin coat that VIS uses on their CF parts. My CF wipercowl (made by CFEclipse) is definitely clearcoated whereas the hood (made by VIS) has a yellow tint to it. Fitment, both the hood and the Aerocatch latches, is great though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back