The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Car running extremely rich to the point it cant idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HolsetGST

Probationary Member
Jan 10, 2019
Orlando, Florida
Hi guys I have been through days of google searching trying to pinpoint the issue i'm having and everything leads to a dead end with no answers. My car is 1997 GST with a H8 blackbox ecu, 1000cc id injectors,holset hx35, walbro 255 fuel pump, tomei AFPR and other mods such as big fmic. I took a chance and bought the car recently, previous owner said it needed a tune. After i got the car i changed out spark plugs to BR8es and taylor plug wires, then found a tuner from the central florida area where i live to come out and put a base tune. We tried for hours trying to get things dialed in and no matter what the car kept dumping fuel profusely creating black smoke, and the only way to have it running is with your foot on the gas otherwise it dies. I recently adjusted the AFPR to the lowest setting at 5PSI and thats the only way i got a somewhat decent idle, but still extremely rich and unable to rev smoothly, I did a boostleak test and found only one at the throttle body and fixed that in hopes that would rectify the problem which it did not. I hooked up a scanner to the car to get live data and found the front 02 sensor at 1.275 volts and the rear at .060v, the coolant sensor reads properly and also the tps at this point i dont know what could possibly be causing this issue.

Silver box to the left of the circle is the resistor pack. It's on the firewall. The circle is showing the connector. If it's "deleted", the silver box will either not be there or will be unplugged and the harness side of the connector will have something plugged in that look like the second picture below.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I appreciate the help guys, i took a photo of that location by the firewall and did not see the silver box, maybe this should shed some light

Attachments

• 20190111_215807.jpg
    20190111_215807.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 103
Hey guys once again i appreciate the help i raised it back to 43 PSI but still no start, ill read up on the link and see if the resistor pack was properly deleted and get back to ya'll

So from what i understand from the post,Im suppose to buy a resistor delete plug or do it myself and solder 5 wires together? is this something that must be done to run 1000cc ID injectors properly?thanks

So from what i understand from the post,Im suppose to buy a resistor delete plug or do it myself and solder 5 wires together? is this something that must be done to run 1000cc ID injectors properly?thanks
Yes. And I recommend you to double check if you really have high impedance injectors before start.

Yes. And I recommend you to double check if you really have high impedance injectors before start.

OP. It's possible the owner sold the car as having ID1000s and but swapped them out and, which would account for the massive over fueling if the ecu is being dialed in for them. As DSMPT stated I'd check for the actual injector installed and if you can't verify them start pulling fuel out of the tune.

How does the engine air filter look? I'm assuming this would have been thought of when the tuner was there, and it would have to be a pretty clogged up stockish filter or over-saturated oiled aftermarket filter to cause that much of a drivability issue. But I figured I'd throw it out there. Did not see any under hood pics in your profile. Also why BPR8 plugs?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back