The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G car running badly, trying to fix it

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodhi_boyd

Probationary Member
Jul 19, 2016
Olathe, Kansas
hey guys, ive been working on my car for a while now. Brought it back from the dead and got it running (huge learning experience). that being said ive got one last obstacle in my way that I need to overcome. this car is misfiring like crazy and now it recently started idling just as bad. i ran a scan on it and only have 2 engine codes (random multiple misfires, and barometric pressure sensor). the previous owner had it as atmospheric dump and im fixing as we speak and will do boost leak test asap. i just recently replaced the maf sensor so im hesitant to think that may be the issue yet again.
the rpms are bouncing really bad between 0 and 1k.

This is where I found my misfire at, so if anyone has fuel injector clips that look like this (see picture), I highly recommend replacing the 25+ year old ones with new clips. OP, you might want to take a look at yours. If they are corroded like mine in my picture, you would be best getting a new set for a good, solid connection. Mine were HORRIBLE and gave me a code last week so I soldered in new, revised version clips that didn't have that PITA metal hold down clip on them, just squeeze and pull and they come off. MTC

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

mod list for the car would be from the previous owner, and my fixing his f*** ups
so far its
injen air intake (non recirc)
front mount intercooler (not sure on specifics will check)
bov from a friend to get rid of the shitty one that was siezed up prev. owner had (again will check specifics)
forced performance exhaust manifold
and soon replacing the intake pipe with forced performance recirc

prob running like 5lbs of boost leak (joke)

intake pipe should be in tomorrow will do full boost leak test after install. will make sure to keep you guys up to date.

If the blow off valve wasn't recirculated that will cause your car to stall out and die at idle and between shifts. I'm going to guess that it is just this.

The most common place for a boost leak besides the obvious loose couplers is the throttle body shaft seals. 91-99 all use the same size seals. 90 has one that is smaller than the rest. It's pretty straight forward and fairly simple to replace.

Here are a couple videos on how to replace them.

Or

alrighty, for the most part the bad idle surging is fixed. the piping the bov is on had slipped out of the coupleing LOL. bov is now recirc and fixed one of the codes regarding the barometric pressure sensor but the random multiple misfire is still there.

now all im getting is a p0300 code which may be the cam position sensor
replaced spark plugs and still getting it

Last edited:
SO basically the main ONLY air feed to the engine was sucking in huge amounts of unmetered air. And you didn't notice this how? LOL glad it is fixed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back