The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Car Overheated / Overheating / Overheats [MERGED]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTRCOOL

Probationary Member
Apr 10, 2002
Richmond_Va.
OVERHEATING? The issues and their solutions have remained the same- either you don't have enough cool air reaching the rad, there's a cooling system obstruction which is preventing coolant from circulating, or your head gasket has failed and is allowing coolant to be consumed or pushed away from the engine.

Discuss all possible overheating problems and solutions here.

OK,
I just left my house to go over to my GF's,and happen to look down and see my needle right before the red mark. This just happened out of nowhere. I stop the car as quickly as i can, and pour in some coolant(Coolant a little low). Still same thing. Welp im in the middle of the road, and HAD to get it home. Im only 5 min from my house. I decided to try and make it(I really had no other choice). Welp I drive no faster than 20mph, and the temp needle is BARELY into the red the whole way.And occasionaly to the left of it. Am I ok?? Do ya think any damage was done?? And im thinking either thermostat, or water pump. For each of those, whats a round about $$ figure to get replaced?? Any info you have would be GREATLY appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
alright, well i figured the overheating is becuase my fan likes to turn on and off for the ac whenever it wants to. i found the connection that needs to be soldered...

the other stuff still got me :(

i tried putting some lucas stuff in the oil and it hasn't done much to the performance, still kinda rough at high rpms. i also put some of their injector cleaner, car still jerks while coasting...

it's not the radiator cap. my friend tells me it's my head gasket cause it makes more pressure to push the coolant to the overflow if the head gasket is bad. could that be the problem?

you should try checking your oil and seeing if its white and milky, if it is, it could either be a headgasket or a cracked head. but more than likely, if you drove your car WHILE it was overheating, i would be leaning towards a cracked head. you can get it checked at a machine shop for about 20bux, but i would think you would have to take the head off to pressure test it.

baccam said:
my friend tells me it's my head gasket cause it makes more pressure to push the coolant to the overflow if the head gasket is bad.
What? Your friend's not a mechanic, is he. Apparently he's not an English teacher, either.

Decode that and get back to me.

damn. that would suck if i had a craked head. my friend said i'm getting extra pressure (probably while i'm boosting) into the cooling system which is forcing the coolant out into the overflow.

everytime i fill more coolant in the radiator. the temp would go back to normal for a while. lets say i put in about one bottle of coolant in there. that would last till about 2 days normal in town driving. as long as i fill up the radiator with some coolant, is it safe to drive the car around?. i havnt been driving it ever since i got back from GLD. i need a car to get to work and was just woundring about this cause if it's bad then im not gonna drive it.

Defiant said:
What? Your friend's not a mechanic, is he. Apparently he's not an English teacher, either.

Decode that and get back to me.

...and 1G water pumps have platic impellers? :rolleyes:

No, I said he's getting extra pressure into the cooling system which is forcing it into the overflow. I've seen this happen many times before. Usually happens when the head gasket gets worn or when you forget to tighten the headstuds after rebuilding a motor.

Testing this is simple. Just pressurize the intake system just like when you're doing an intake leak test. If coolant get's forced into the overflow, then this is the problem.

Have simlar problem....I'll let you know if I figure it out...Or Vice Versa. My fans come on only when I turn on the AC. besides that they don't turn on ever. I also have that stuttering problem at 4500. In addition of have a idle problem. Some days it idles fine others it is like crap. As soon as it warm up its totally fine.

TimG said:
I have my logger hooked up and at idle, my stock coolant temperature gauge builds up to redline after 5 minutes of idling. Yet when I read my logger, it only states it the coolant temperature is 160 degrees.

I don't have any of my fans hooked up yet. That will be done with an auto relay and in-cockpit switch.

So how do I know which gauge is right?

sometimes the temp gauge goes wacko

Well, after running a 12 on the stock intercooler (on my full weight, small16G 92 TSI AWD), I figured it was time to "upgrade" so I bought my neighbor's Evo III (or something) FMIC. It's pretty small, but seemed to make the car a bit zippier. I kept my stock radiator but installed some slim fans from Pep-Boys or whatever.

Now, I live in Bakersfield where it's already approaching 95 degrees during the day. In the middle of the summer, 100-105 is pretty common. So I crank the A/C like a madman.

Today was the first hot day (95 degrees) so I turned the A/C on. It wasn't as cold as it normally is. I have a 180 degree thermostat. With the A/C off, the temp on my datalogger approached 195-200, whereas before it never went over 190. With the A/C on it never made a difference before. Now it's hitting 235+, and when I shut the car off it spits a bunch of coolant and water out of the overflow. Yes, it's overheating badly.

So what can I do? Downgrade back to my stock intercooler? Or can I duct the air better to my radiator, put it more water (less coolant), maybe some "water wetter" or something? I'm not scrapping the A/C no matter what...

G-Ell said:
Testing this is simple. Just pressurize the intake system just like when you're doing an intake leak test. If coolant get's forced into the overflow, then this is the problem.

cool, i will do that when i find the time to.

i am really lost right now,my brother borrowed the car ,on his way home a hose ripped and it overheated ,he didnt let it go all the way up and shut it off to let it cool down,so i replace the hose,one of the heater hoses,and i start the car back up and i drove it for about 20 mins and it began to heat up again,so i checked the fans and it didnt look like it was coming on so now heres everything i done so far:

changed radiator with a spare one i had
flushed the coolant system
changed the sensor on the bottom of the radiator with a spare one i had
replaced radiator cap
took out the t stat and it still overheated
no oil in coolant,no coolant in oil,oil cap is not milky either
car isnt blowing white smoke when its cold or hot
checked relays and fuses.
water pump was replaced about 1300 miles ago after i rebuilt my head

also the fans stop coming on after the the car starts to heat up,comes on when it reached the normal temp.so im really lost right now,i dont know what might be the problem.when i ran the car with the fan switch bridged it took longer for the car to overheat,everytime the coolant gets thrown out throught the overflow as soon as its starting to heat up.i also wanted to know if theres any sensors on the water neck or anything that might be the problem,thanks alot guys sorry for the long post.

one idea is what is the cfm rateing on your fans? if it is too low youll overheat. personally i plan on going with a 2 2200 cfm slimlines on a fluidine rad, but also check coolant and make sure the fans are turning on and off when you need them to.

good luck

even though the waterpump was just replaced, that is the only thing i can think of........the only other thing, stupid and simple, yet possible.... the drive belt that turn the waterpump

the belt is on,and the water seems to be flowing good.i had a water pump go out on me and the car heats up really fast,it takes my car about 15-20 mins to heat up.i just ordered the radiator temp switch,i should have it tomorrow and hopefully it does the job,if not im gonna check my ignition timing,but thanks for the help

Try Water Wetter and flush your rad and make sure you have more of a 50/50 split on coolant to water or less. That way the Water Wetter works better. Also try a high pressure rad cap like blitz or greddy. Good luck and never get rid of the AC. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back