1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Car Overheated / Overheating / Overheats [MERGED]

Posted by NTRCOOL, Apr 16, 2002

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. dave99gst

dave99gst DSM Wiseman

Joined Sep 8, 2002
    plymouth, Michigan
    good plan

2. blwn2g

blwn2g Proven Member

Joined Jan 16, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yup replace your thermostat and radiator cap make sure you burp the system well.

Make sure the fans work.

3. speedytalon

speedytalon Proven Member

Joined Apr 6, 2003
    yeah that tends to be what is wrong in a situation like that. plus a new thermastat is cheap and should be replaced after a few years anyway.

4. ECLIPSE4x4

ECLIPSE4x4 Proven Member

Joined May 28, 2002
    New Bern, North Carolina
    yes thermostat AND new radiator cap.

516  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    12.545 @ 108.480 · 2G DSM
  5. mastaBO

mastaBO Proven Member

Joined Oct 22, 2003
    Well i got a radiator cap from a junk yard off o a 94 eclipse. Its in good shape and everything. No rust or anything at all. Is it good enough?

6. ECLIPSE4x4

ECLIPSE4x4 Proven Member

Joined May 28, 2002
    New Bern, North Carolina
    as much as you payed for at the junkyard you could have got a new one.

Try it out and see what happens.

I would have went for a new one.

516  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    12.545 @ 108.480 · 2G DSM
  7. DSMeclipse4G63

DSMeclipse4G63 Proven Member

Joined Mar 10, 2003
    columbia, Maryland
    if you replace the thermostat and burp the system(I trademarked that term on this site:D ) and have your pump and hd replaced then the only thing that could cause it to over heat would be a clog somewhere limiting flow.
    Andrew

8. mr2turbo12

mr2turbo12 Proven Member

Joined Mar 19, 2004
    west chicago, Illinois
    ok, only had the car for a month and whenever i come to a stop the car starts to overheat. The needle slowly starts to go up, so i put the heat to full, the needle goes back to the middle, then i put the heat to low and the needle starts to go back up. The radiator was changed before i bought it. I havent noticed any leaks. Only one fan works, the other one doent spin. It never overheats when i drive it, abuse it. Im going to go to a autozone and get a thermostat, hopefully it fixes it. What does it sound like this can be?

9. Clipse

Clipse Proven Member

Joined Sep 25, 2002
    Renton, Washington
    The second fan is an A/C fan. It only works when the A/C is on.

285  0

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 1G DSM
  10. SpeedFreak03

SpeedFreak03 Proven Member

Joined Jun 11, 2003
    , Delaware
    Could be the thermostat, but buy a mitsu OEM one from the dealer, dont by the cheap autozone sh**. Also when was the last time you flushed the system? Could be the waterpump also, they are like $70-90. Try replacing t-stat (with OEM) and flush the rad and add new 50/50 mix of coolant and water.

11. stuffy1256

stuffy1256 Proven Member

Joined Nov 15, 2002
    Odessa, Texas
    except flushing the radiator and replacing the water pump.

I sent my car in the shop to get the 02 sensor retapped when i stripped it getting it out and noticed the car was overheating and was told by someone on tuners it was probably just the fact that i didnt have the 02 sensor in while it was running. No problem. Got it retapped and while driving it home, i noticed it was still overheating but just while under boost. replaced the thermostat. Getting even better. Now its just overheating AFTER i get off of boost. When it was in the shop, the mechanic said the turbo is about to go and might want to consider getting a new one (he's a mechanic at my dad's work so he wouldnt bs us or else he would get fired) I took it into my mechanics class im taking and my teacher said that the turbo could be causing the overheat if it is blocking the exhaust. Two weeks later (today) turbo is finally installed. I STILL overheats. fans ARE turning on and no CEL. Could it just be a clogged radiator or bad water pump? i dont know when the water pump was last replaced but i know the timing belt was replaced by mitsu before i bought the car. Is there any way to check to see if its the water pump or a clogged radiator? sorry for the novel but i wanted to let you know what i HAVE done.

12. Defiant

Defiant DSM Wiseman

Joined Jan 13, 2003
    glorious Galt, California
    We want to know how he figured this.

I suspect a bum plastic impeller in your water pump.

3K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  13. 13secGST

13secGST Proven Member

Joined Dec 1, 2002
    San Luis Obispo, California
    I would also just flush your system too...to make sure all the coolant is fresh...its simple, although I don't think this should be your problem

when does your car overheat now? Only after boost...what do you mean by after boost, do you mean that the car runs at normal temp all the time except, after you have floored it and built boost, the temps will creep up and go back down?

14. markGSX

markGSX Proven Member

Joined Aug 5, 2002
    Bay Area/SoCal, California
    There are a few possibilities: blown head gasket (sometimes as small as a pinhole), clogged radiator, or water pump. I'll bet on the radiator. My friend had a '99 GS-T and the radiator failed in '03. That just shouldn't happen -- but it DID!

871  0

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
  15. crankbender

crankbender Proven Member

Joined Apr 15, 2002
    houston, Texas
    just try this.

Pull the thermostat again.
    Refill the system.
    Take the top radiator hose off the radiator and aim it over the front grill.
    Start the car.

Water should jet out like a high school boy on prom night....I suspect it won't and you need a new water pump.

Are you loosing any coolant?

16. stuffy1256

stuffy1256 Proven Member

Joined Nov 15, 2002
    Odessa, Texas
    i have plenty of coolant and am not losing any. Actually the car is overheating after its in drive and i hit the gas. idling and revving it fine, its stays cool, but as soon as i try and drive it, it goes bad. It was only doing the afterboost heating before it was in the shop.

Also another thing, in my chiltons manual it said that fluid would come out when i took off the radiator hose when i changed my thermostat but nothing came out. Not even a drop. Is this something to be concern about? Also i get a lot of pinging when it get hot and wont start again until it completly cools off. Itll start and then die.

17. crankbender

Joined Apr 15, 2002
    houston, Texas
    This will tell you if your water pump is gone......

less talk more action!!!! :thumb:

18. markGSX

markGSX Proven Member

Joined Aug 5, 2002
    WTF, are you joking? Are you saying you have no coolant?

871  0

manual · 1G DSM
  19. stuffy1256

stuffy1256 Proven Member

Joined Nov 15, 2002
    Odessa, Texas
    i have some in my holding tank thing, infact it almost full... so i guees coolant was supposed to come out huh?

20. markGSX

markGSX Proven Member

Joined Aug 5, 2002
    No wonder you were overheating -- It sounds like you have some pretty big air pockets in your cooling system. Just because your overflow is full doesn't mean you're completely full of coolant. There can be air in the system with nowhere for it to escape.

When your car is cold, remove your radiator cap and let the air bleed out for a couple minutes.

871  0

manual · 1G DSM
  21. crankbender

Joined Apr 15, 2002
    houston, Texas
    you have to pour coolant IN the radiator cap too....

*EDIT* the hole for the cap that is....just making sure as you seem to be a little new to the cooling system thing. :D

22. 13secGST

13secGST Proven Member

Joined Dec 1, 2002
    San Luis Obispo, California
    ok, here is what to do...fill the coolant system from the radiator cap...no where else...don't worry about the reservior...

then, turn the car on with the cap off and keep filling coolant as needed

23. Eliminat0r

Eliminat0r Proven Member

Joined Jun 18, 2003
    Clinton Township, Michigan
    LOL bounce the bumper thats great i just revved my car to like 1500 waited till i seen the air bubbles stop and topped it off with more coolant then repeated about 4 times, no overheating problems since, maybe next time it happens ill hit the bumper.:thumb: o yea dont forget to let your car completely cool down after doing this and then the next morning or hours later do the trick one more time to rid yourself of all the air in the system, of course if youre lazy just rent the pump thing.

24. boostineklipz

boostineklipz Proven Member

Joined Jun 2, 2002
    1, Maine
    Alright I started having a overheating problem ever since I put the FMIC on. I replaced the coolant with 2 bottles of water wetter and a 80/20 mix of water/coolant.

Everything is cool until I get into to stop and go traffic. If its over 60 degrees out, that temp gets pretty hot. It doesnt get hot on boost or when just crusing. There isnt white smoke either.

Now in stop and go traffic friday night, the car got hot and then the clutch started slipping and the clutch pedal goes to the floor. I found this pretty odd. After the car cooled down, the clutch stopped slipping.

The car pulls pretty good still, but I have a good feeling the head gasket is on its way out. The clutch is almost about 3 years and old and its a ACT 2100. Its starting to chatter so I am working on getting that replaced along with a stock flywheel.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

25. midnght

midnght Proven Member

Joined Nov 14, 2002
    Hagerstown, Maryland
    Try replacing the thermostat. How many PSI are you running, what is the max you have run, and what is the time period you ran it?

As for the clutch, how many miles and how did you treat it?