The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Car jerked then died!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForsakenLash

Proven Member
Mar 15, 2013
Jacksonville, Florida
So driving home tonight I was going down the highway, and my stock 2g gave a sudden jerk and then my RPMs and Speedometer dropped to 0. I could still hear and feel the motor pulling even when I was pressing the gas pedal, I tried popping the clutch in gear and nothing. I got it to the side of the road and it wouldnt crank at all.

Any ideas on what might be wrong? The temp gauge was normal, I have half a tank of gas, and just had the oil changed and all fluids topped off. :cry:

Do a boost leak test, check timing belt and timing, do a compression test.

You do realize he has a N/T right? Lol..

OP - any check engine lights? Because you say your car was running but your gauges zero'd out, I would start with the charging system (battery, alternator, grounds, and etc).

well I guess it is worth mentioning that the timing has been off by a tooth since I got the car. Previous owner replaced water pump and didnt adjust timing properly. When I spoke with my mechanic (havent been able to afford to have the timing re-done... prices are outrageous around here) he said if it hasnt bent any valves yet then as long as the belts not lose and it doesnt slip out anymore it wont bend any valves.

I trust what he says cause hes been fixing my cars for the last 8 years and has always been honest and fair, but maybe he was wrong in this case.... am I possibly looking at bent valves?

What do you mean the car wont crank?
Is there power?
What does it sound like when you try to crank?

Pop the upper timing cover off, and make sure you still have a timing belt on there.
To line up the timing marks, youre going to need the whole timing cover off to see the crank marks.
Cyl #1 should be at TDC, on its compression stroke when checking the marks.

After these are lined up, it should tell you if you jumped time.

What do you mean the car wont crank?
Is there power?
What does it sound like when you try to crank?

Pop the upper timing cover off, and make sure you still have a timing belt on there.
To line up the timing marks, youre going to need the whole timing cover off to see the crank marks.
Cyl #1 should be at TDC, on its compression stroke when checking the marks.

After these are lined up, it should tell you if you jumped time.

When I say it wont crank, I mean it tries to start but wont turn over. There is power and it doesnt sound any different then before this all happened other then the fact it wont actually start up.

After further inspection of the timing belt and speaking to a few mechanics and ultimately a buddy of mine who is a mechanic I am pretty sure I jumped timing. I am able to life the belt up about a half inch off of the gears and the right gear moves slightly when done so. Luckily my buddy is offering to do it for cheap so hopefully if that is all that is wrong with it then I will have it up and running again by Sunday.

I will keep this thread open for anymore input and to update on the official diagnosis to verify that all it is, is the timing having jumped.

When I say it wont crank, I mean it tries to start but wont turn over. There is power and it doesnt sound any different then before this all happened other then the fact it wont actually start up.

After further inspection of the timing belt and speaking to a few mechanics and ultimately a buddy of mine who is a mechanic I am pretty sure I jumped timing. I am able to life the belt up about a half inch off of the gears and the right gear moves slightly when done so. Luckily my buddy is offering to do it for cheap so hopefully if that is all that is wrong with it then I will have it up and running again by Sunday.

I will keep this thread open for anymore input and to update on the official diagnosis to verify that all it is, is the timing having jumped.
Hopefully he is going to check if you bent some valves, which is very likely in this case. If he is just going to re-time it, it might be fruitless.

Yea hes going to check over it and make sure theres nothing more wrong with it, however if im not mistaken, if valves are bent wouldnt I be able to hear it when trying to crank it? Im gonna try and look up some videos of what a motor with bent valves sounds like, anyone have any links?

Yea hes going to check over it and make sure theres nothing more wrong with it, however if im not mistaken, if valves are bent wouldnt I be able to hear it when trying to crank it? Im gonna try and look up some videos of what a motor with bent valves sounds like, anyone have any links?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbKfdQSkO08]2g dsm awd tsi top end noise, Valve Interference FTL - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7_jK-kRZw8]92 eagle talon first start-upno exhaust siezed lifters bent valves - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hea9L7CEvZU]1994 Honda Accord w/ Bent Valve - YouTube[/ame]

2 dsm's and a honda

BEFORE YOU PAY HIM TO TIME IT, check your compression! Its an easy way to tell if any valves are bent!

If he checks compression and the timing is off the reading shouldn't be accurate anyway- If the belt jumped any more than it is there's a damn good chance the valves may be bent- The engine can survive a tooth retarded but much beyond that and your bending valves-

correct the timing and do c comp test are the only choices you really have from this point- and for the record I had an N/T before I went to the GST.....Trust me when I tell you that valves can get costly if you have the twin cam Neon engine under the hood- My N/T was GIVEN to me because the previous owner ignored the water pump leak which progressed to the water pump locking and tossing the timing belt.....I did all my own work and still came out of pocket nearly $600 for all new valves-

Will-

yea it doesnt sound anything like any of those, but my concern is the fact that it wont start. Ive got my buddy coming to look at it friday and my wifes aunts friends son coming to look at it tonight. If this guy can fix it he will do it practically for cost of parts which at this point I dont care if he goes to a junk yard for valves if they are bent. I just need to try and get it running for work by monday.

I know with the valves I should go new if they are bent, but my finances dont allow for it right now. This same guy replaced the valves on my wifes cousins car with junk yard valves almost 5 years ago and her car is still running strong... and its a Honda LOL.

So would you say it jerked off?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Couldn't resist.

I see what you did there :sneaky:

If he checks compression and the timing is off the reading shouldn't be accurate anyway- If the belt jumped any more than it is there's a damn good chance the valves may be bent- The engine can survive a tooth retarded but much beyond that and your bending valves-

What I mean was test and see if it holds pressure.
Another for of compression testing that I did to check my valves was compressing air into the engine by using an air compressor, and the compression tester line. If the valves are closed, it should hold compression.

Dont worry about used valves. Do the obvious. Make sure theyre in good shape, and clean em up. Ive used 'used' valves before with no problems.

Ok, so here is my newest question on this situation. If I get it in time, replace the belt and tensioner pulley if its needed, what are the odds I can start it without doing more damage to the motor? I am trying to eliminate having it towed to a shop just to be tested once its timed if I can, as I dont want to have to pay for a compression test and valve job if I can avoid it.

I noticed the people in those videos started their cars up with bent valves with no worries, but I dont want to damage anymore components if I can avoid it.

well I had a guy from work come out and do the compression and leak down test today.... and its holding compression in all 4 cylinders!!!! Man am I one lucky SOB!!!

We didnt have time to actually jack it up and check the timing, but you can tell from the opening on the timing cover its out. He thinks that when the previous owner did the timing belt and water pump he didnt torque the cam gears properly and may have broke the pin in one of the gears.

We checked the spark and we didnt get any, not sure if its not sparking because the crank sensor is bad (which I dont believe it is) or because he didnt think he had a good ground. Either way its still a lot cheaper now that the head doesnt have to be pulled!!

So I am going to have the timing re-done nd hopefully I will be back up and running by next week (gotta work it around my pay schedule.)

Whats a good website to get a good quality timing kit without spending $200?

Also do you guys think this is a good timing kit?

95 99 Dodge Mitsubishi 2 0L DOHC Timing Belt GMB Water Pump Valve Cover Kit 420A | eBay

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back