The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G car dies when clutch is pushed in.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i love boost

Probationary Member
Nov 16, 2010
west Bend, Wisconsin
hey, as the title says. the car will die when i push in the clutch. i have a 1995 tsi awd it has a 6 bolt swap with a 95 head. it has been doing this for awhile and it only does it when it's warm. some days it does it every time once it's warmed up and some days it won't do it once. it stalls as in all the light turns on and it just loses power. it also won't hold an idle if i just throw it into neutral. but like i said when cold the car sits and idles fine but idles at about 1500 cold and about 1000-800 warm. i have found simaler posts but non are exectly what is happening with my car. please help. thankyou.

hey, nevermind. i went out to start it to go to school and i have rod knock like it's my job. rebuild time yo.

The car has a 6 bolt block so I highly doubt it's walk. But nontheless replacing everything with forged internals so anything that may have been wrong is getting fixed now

Not to be the bummer of the group. but 6 bolt engines can get walk too. it's just not that common. i've seen one get it so far. btw i'd check the center thrust to see if there's any signs of it before you build . just precautions ya know.

Last edited:
Not to be the bummer of the group. but 6 bolt engines can get walk too. it's just not that common. i've seen one get it so far. btw i'd check the center thrust to see if there's any signs of it before you build . just precautions ya know.

+1, ANY motor with a crank in it can get crankwalk, crankwalkis more hype than anything, a huge majority of vehicles that "think they have crankwalk" actually have a different underlying issue but assume it is crankwalk due to the hype

true, i understand any vehical can walk. i was just stating that i doubt it was walk due to the fact it was a 6 bolt. but as of my luck lately i bet it was walking. i'm going to be replacing the crank, rods and pistons all forged, anything else i should take a look at before i get it up and running for spring to findout something else is screwed.

Is your clutch safety switch still connected? Try disconnecting it, it may be shorting out and everytime you push in the clutch the car dies.

good call, its a good way to help prevent premature failure and wear, after you disconnect it you just have to remember you dont gotta push the clutch to start it LOL took me a while before I kicked the habit ROFL

After you get everything replaced, don't forget to do a boost leak test. I know mine was doing the exact same thing (although without rod knock) but come to find out it was just a big boost leak. I don't know why it only did it when it was warm though. Since then I try to do a boost leak at least every two weeks.

My car does it too, maybe once a day if that and I drive it will over 60 miles a day. It's been doing it ever since the rebuild, I'm fairly certain it's just my throttlebody needing rebuilt with new seals from a boost leak. Now I have over 30k miles on this engine and it's been doing it since day one, does that mean I have crankwalk? NO. So stop jumping to crankwalk conclusions about everything. Jesus.

correct me if i'm wrong. but i changed my timing belt and my timing mark for my crank is on the right side. where as on the 7 bolt motors it is on the left side.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back