The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

ECMlink Cant increase timing on dsmlink

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam's GSX

5+ Year Contributor
Jun 10, 2018
Hohenwald, Tennessee
Ok, I started messing with my time recently and I did get ride of my knock, but I did increase boost after that to 17-18ish from 14.5.
I got a bit of knock back (3 knockret)
So to get ride of it I figured I'd go down pretty far all the way to 6 at the lowest, and I had no knock, so I increased 2 deg, still no knock, then I did 2 more, and still no knock, so I looked at the log and realized I was still at 7ish timing, I'm using direct access and I have done a large handful of pills since then including going to the drag strip for the first time. I even tried using the sliders to increase by 2, but it was still at 7. What's going on?

Ok, I started messing with my time recently and I did get ride of my knock, but I did increase boost after that to 17-18ish from 14.5.
I got a bit of knock back (3 knockret)
So to get ride of it I figured I'd go down pretty far all the way to 6 at the lowest, and I had no knock, so I increased 2 deg, still no knock, then I did 2 more, and still no knock, so I looked at the log and realized I was still at 7ish timing, I'm using direct access and I have done a large handful of pills since then including going to the drag strip for the first time. I even tried using the sliders to increase by 2, but it was still at 7. What's going on?
*pulls not pills

Took a quick look at it seems to me that it's favoring the timing in your minoct table rather than max. Either table looks a little abrupt but that's my guess. Try copying your maxoct over top of your minoct and see what happens.

Also, though this is personal preference, I'd reduce your knock CEL to 1 or 2 degrees when tuning. At four degrees of retard I consider that a lot.
I CEL at 1 myself.

Your coolant temp is pegged all the time at 213F (100C). I'm wondering if that's causing minoct indexing.

Good stable WBO2, though, but your AFRatioEst is pegged way, way rich causing WBFactor to hit almost 50% disagreement. It's been a while since I tuned MAF but I don't think that's quite right.

If you're using the stock TPS, I'd also get that set properly rather than using such a drastic offset/scale.

Last edited:
Thank you I'll look into all that, I'm pretty sure it is using my minoct table but that's the one I've been adjusting, so I have no point in time that is 6 or 7 timing at wot in the table, I probably need to redo my mafcomp sliders, I've done quite a bit since I did it last.
Thanks again man, I'll update what happens Tomorrow after work

I'd zero out your fuel slider and make changed to your MAF comp instead. Your openloopmaxoct table needs work. Target afr at wot should be 10.5/11ish, 9.5 is on the rich side. Not a big deal but your at 1% throttle & .67 tps when you're off the pedal. Get that to 0% and .63

Ok that makes sense, when i put this turbo on i had to increase the fuel sliders a ton, that always felt wrong to me.
Also I did a pull on my way to work after I copied the maxoct to the minoct and yielded the same result of 6.1 timing at top end. :(
And you said 213 is a bit hot? So I'll probably need an aftermarket radiator.

My dude, you have to go to the ecu inputs tab and under pin assignments, change the wideband to "rear o2". You'll get real readings once you do that.

As previously stated, run your tps adjust tool to get your throttle position to 0% at idle. The best course would be to manually adjust the tps physical position until link shows 0.63v... then run any tps adjust afterwards.

Last edited:
Ok I checked the wideband, and It was on rear o2, also my afr only goes to around 10.5, not sure where it was 9.5
So when I post a log, can you guys see my tune? It seems like you can.

Oh ok, yeah I haven't actually used DA for fuel yet, but I should probably switch over to it. So that's why it says 7-1 afratioest? Because its 9.5 on the table, plus me adding a bunch of fuel on the sliders (like 20% I think) that would be why it says 7?
I am going to get that all straightened out Tomorrow, but I'm still running at least close to proper afr with the mtxl.
Does anyone have any other guesses on why the timing wont increase?
It's being retarded (get it? Haha sorry I had to)

That’s your target afr at wot and the reason it’s so rich. Before you start tuning, you want everything dialed in. There are tons of information on here, ecmlinks website and jafromobile on YouTube. His videos help me a ton.

Idk why you can’t increase timing. Leave that alone until you get everything else dialed in including your desired boost level. There are step before just cranking up boost and timing. Those should be your last step

Ok I'll get that set up.
Keep in mind, that was the last thing I did, I've put 12k into this car and the very last thing I bought was a boost controller, and I only increased the boost a few days ago after a had got rid of knock and my afr was at 10.5ish.
Also the Lc1 would be correct right? Not the table, just look at the timing table, it's not working either.
Do you think resetting the tune back to stock and starting over would help?

I’ve restarted a few times myself battling knock. If your afr on your gauge is 10.5 you’re fine just your wbfactor will show some difference. I’d go over everything, set bfp, make sure there’s no boost leaks, verify base timing, make sure biss is adjusted properly. Not sure if you bought the ecu second hand, if so set all the setting back to stock and start over.

Ok great news, fixed the timing problem, but I'm not sure how, I reset my tune and started with redoing my mafcomp for cruise, then did a wot pull and tuned from there changing mafcomp instead of fuel sliders, I am running very high mafcomp (like plus 60% in some places) that's fine as long as it's not bad or anything. Also my load factor now goes up to 2.75ish at wot, unlike before where it would only go to about 1.75ish. But that helps me tune.
I can upload a pull if need be, I have adjusted the mafcomp a little since my last logged pull.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back