The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

DSMLink and Timing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xteekayx

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 19, 2005
North Jersey, New_Jersey
Quick question, when i reduce the gobal fuel trim to -40%, does my timing go up as well since the computer thinks its getting less air??... or does the timing stay stock?.... meaning that i can add couple degrees across the board?...

Quick question, when i reduce the gobal fuel trim to -40%, does my timing go up as well since the computer thinks its getting less air??...

UGH. The ECU doesn't think it's getting less air. You're CORRECTLY scaling the injectors without artificially manipulating airflow. Un-AFC your brain and RTFM.

RTFM? Ok not quite sure what this acroynm stands for but I'm guessing Read The F*ing Manual....just a guess.

this is what it says about timing in manual

..."Adjustments are made at 500-RPM points from 500 to 8000
RPM. Moving a slider “up” one tick attempts to advance the ignition timing by one
degree at that RPM point. No changes are made to the ECU until the OK button is
pressed. Unlike fuel adjustments, ignition timing adjustments made to the ECU’s map
with DSMLink are always active, regardless of airflow or throttle position."...

just so i understand... so the timing in DSMLink is only RPM dependend?... air flow has no affect on it?... so i can get 30* of timing at no boost and 30* with 20psi of boost at certain RPM???.... please i just wanna make sure i understand this correctly...

It literally takes all of 5 minutes to pull out the ECU. Do you at least have DSMLink V2? If that's the case then it's unlikely to be a pirated version, and you'll actually get help on here.

You really need to gain access to the Link forum... You'll find less flamers over there.

Just try to be tactful about your questions, stick with one thread, and posted nice clipped logs for convenience. Don't loss train of thought.

You may fine some help here, but I don't think you enjoy wading through the bull sh1t.

There are some big pissers here.

You really need to gain access to the Link forum... You'll find less flamers over there.

Just try to be tactful about your questions, stick with one thread, and posted nice clipped logs for convenience. Don't loss train of thought.

You may fine some help here, but I don't think you enjoy wading through the bull sh1t.

so i noticed ;)....

There are plenty of people here who are familiar with DSMLink, but the vast majority of them choose not to provide support here since that is what the DSMLink forums are. All legitimate owners should have access to that, and it's a method of fighting piracy.

There are plenty of people here who are familiar with DSMLink, but the vast majority of them choose not to provide support here since that is what the DSMLink forums are. All legitimate owners should have access to that, and it's a method of fighting piracy.

I brought this up months ago and Tom said that he doesn't think anybody can duplicate the 2g V2 cable or the 1g memory board. I don't agree with that because I've personally seen otherwise, but it's their choice. They've said that they don't care if people get support from other users on this forum. So I think you need to just let it go, if you choose not to help people in this area, then just don't post anything. Trust me I know how you feel, it sucks seeing people steal Tom and Dave's hard work and not pay a thing for it, when we had to pay $565 for it.

DSMLink User Group Forums

Scroll down to post #40

just so i understand... so the timing in DSMLink is only RPM dependend?... air flow has no affect on it?... so i can get 30* of timing at no boost and 30* with 20psi of boost at certain RPM???.... please i just wanna make sure i understand this correctly...

You're correct, timing corrections and fuel corrections are rpm based. If you move the 500 rpm timing slider up 10 degrees it will affect every load range at that rpm. You need to transfer ownership of Dsmlink so you can get access to the forums, being lazy isn't a valid reason.

DSMLink user transfer

You're correct, timing corrections and fuel corrections are rpm based. If you move the 500 rpm timing slider up 10 degrees it will affect every load range at that rpm. You need to transfer ownership of Dsmlink so you can get access to the forums, being lazy isn't a valid reason.

DSMLink user transfer

ok so it is load and rpm based timing.... so if i do 12psi pull in 3rd gear and with stock timing it would see like 18* at 7k rpm that means if i add 3* at 7k it will be 21* ... right?.... i'm taking some things apart from the car tomorrow so will also take out the ECU and get the numbers finally.... sorry guys i don't have a garage!!!! or a driveway so its really hard to work outside in this weather, some peopel just don't understand :(....

I think you are trying to tune in an incorrect fashion. Trying to tune for peak timing on an otherwise small boost setup may not be what you are looking for. Your rationale is correct, though. If you are running peak timing at 15* from 5.5k+, adding +3* from 5.5k and up will increase your timing from 15* to 18*.

I think you are trying to tune in an incorrect fashion. Trying to tune for peak timing on an otherwise small boost setup may not be what you are looking for. Your rationale is correct, though. If you are running peak timing at 15* from 5.5k+, adding +3* from 5.5k and up will increase your timing from 15* to 18*.

i just wanna get as much timing as possible with 20psi :).... not necesserly gonna run 12psi, was just example :).... thanks for confirming my train of thought :)...

i just wanna get as much timing as possible with 20psi :).... not necesserly gonna run 12psi, was just example :).... thanks for confirming my train of thought :)...

If possible though you should try to pull timing out and run as much boost as possible. So if you could pull timing down and run 22psi you will make more power.

Agreed. biglady112 told me a while back about this way of tuning. Obviously without the resource of meth injection, tuning for high timing is pretty much non-existant on 93 pump. Running higher boost with a lower timing curve has yielded be great results :thumb:

Agreed. biglady112 told me a while back about this way of tuning. Obviously without the resource of meth injection, tuning for high timing is pretty much non-existant on 93 pump. Running higher boost with a lower timing curve has yielded be great results :thumb:

seriously?.... i've been messin around the 3000GT platform for a long time and higher timing always yeild great results.... i guess i'll try more boost and less timing on the DSM :)... thanks for heads up guys....

btw how much boost can i go up with this car having ARP studs stock 1st gen rods and 2g pistons before head starts lifting and rods start bending :p...

Usually boost will make more power than timing on pump gas. Most people don't remember Andre (dre99gsx). He was one of the first, if not the first person, to make 500whp on pump gas. His ignition timing was 5 degrees flat, while running 28 psi from a 50 trim.

Usually boost will make more power than timing on pump gas. Most people don't remember Andre (dre99gsx). He was one of the first, if not the first person, to make 500whp on pump gas. His ignition timing was 5 degrees flat, while running 28 psi from a 50 trim.

holly shit... I got a 50trim maybe i should try 28 psi and 5 degrees :D..... 93 octane, what CR was he running?...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back