The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Resolved Can't get head to manifold stud out

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helaman-99

Proven Member
May 10, 2019
Spokane Valley, Washington
Hey guys, today's been a little long. I've been trying to get this stud out because I broke it while reinstalling my exhaust manifold, but I can't seem to get it.

So I started by drilling a small hole so that I can use an extractor set that I have, got the hole drilled and I proceeded to use the extractor. It started to work, and I was slowly unscrewing the stud out of the hole, but then the extractor bit broke off in the hole I drilled. Since then I have tried (to no avail) to drill another hole in the center, but it seems as though the broken extractor is impervious to EVERY bit I throw at it. I even ground it down a bit the get a smooth surface to try to start over, but I can barely get a dent in the thing.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The only place I can drill is on the side, next to where the bit broke off, as you can see in the picture. But it started drilling into the side of the stud hole... so I'm stuck. I want to do this myself, but 1. I'm a complete noob, and 2. the only place I can effectively drill a whole is a place where an extractor won't work, so should I just take it to a shop? Or have I done too much damage? Thanks in advance guys.

Yes unfortunately that's the problem once the extractor bit breaks off in the stud you are screwed there's no way to get it out because the metal on the screw extractor bit is super tempered and very hard. That's the worst thing that could have happened.... Maybe get an extra thick copper gasket and see if you can use that even with the broken stud maybe your exhaust manifold will still seal...

Yes unfortunately that's the problem once the extractor bit breaks off in the stud you are screwed there's no way to get it out because the metal on the screw extractor bit is super tempered and very hard. That's the worst thing that could have happened.... Maybe get an extra thick copper gasket and see if you can use that even with the broken stud maybe your exhaust manifold will still seal...

Yeah, I've got the quad-layer oem gasket waiting to be put on. It wasn't leaking when I drove the car previously, but I made sure to NEVER hit boost haha so far my efforts have been pretty meh. I've been drilling and using a dremmel tool, but it's taken hours to get a little dent. I'm too stubborn I guess LOL

Thanks for the reply!

It won't seal long term, if at all.

Someway, somehow, it can come out. A machine shop can definitely get it out, though they will cuss you for trying at all and leaving them the mess you're paying them to fix. The other way would be small carbide tipped tools, and a lot of them. And patience to match. Getting through the extractor will not be quick or easy. At the end of the day, it may be cheaper to just take it to a shop and have it taken care of.

Was it moving at all? Longshot but if you can get a slot to the side of that extractor maybe slide the tip of a flat screwdriver in it and get it to turn. Or if you can get a small tool to grind a slot in the extractor and see if it will screw out so you can use another one. I wouldn't continue to drill to the side.

We have all had that exact same looking thing in front of us at one time, heat will allow it to come out easier next time and even this time if you manage to get a hole or slot in it, you will need a handful of carbide or titanium bits on either a drill or on a dremel type of tool with an end mill burr on it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I knew heat would help, but didn't really have much on hand. And yeah, I should've stopped drilling on the right side... the left side-hole thing was accidental. :D What I ended up doing was taking a dremmel tool and some diamond-tipped bits and ground it down till I got through the extractor and then drilled a hole big enough for a bigger extractor bit. Just got it out. Thanks again and you guys rock! :hellyeah:

I was just in your shoes very recently. Its a bit late, but you coulda done the Ole harbor freight trick... Buy a HF welder. Weld on a nut to the broken stud. Use wrench to run it out. Then return the welder. Sounds and looks sketchy when you watch the youtubers do it, but it actually works. Just did one 2 weeks ago.

Dremel wins again: I’ve had mostly success with them as last resort. I also used the heat trick using propane torch. Especially with aluminum, since it expands much more than the steel fastener at a given temp. Just don’t crack/ warp the surrounding metal. I’ve Not yet needed it, but have considered dry ice in contact with only what’s left of the fastener, to shrink it. Glad you had success.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back