The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Cannot Remove 02 Sensor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boddie

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 21, 2012
Ames, Iowa
Hello,

Been throwing CELs recently for my O2 sensor, and I noticed the voltage was stuck at 0.03 V after warmed up. There is no fluctuation whatsoever. I have a new Denso sensor, and I would like to put it in. The problem is that the one in there will not come out. I have tried soaking it overnight in PB Blaster, using the special O2 removing socket with ratchet+extension+breaker bar, and I have also tried taking the car for a hard drive to get it all nice and hot at the same time. It has not budged at all. Luckily I have not rounded the the O2 sensor at all, so I keep feeling there is some kind of hope to get it out.

Would it be better just to replace the whole damn O2 housing and cut the wire off while not bothering to get the sensor out? I have an after market O2 housing lying around, but was waiting to put it on once I ordered the rest of the exhaust parts with it. I have near completely given up on removing this sensor, and I have to drive this car several hours a day with a bad O2 until I can get it replaced for it is my only car, and I have to get to work.

If the sensor is junk, forget that it's an o2 sensor and do whatever you need to get it out. Cut it off, break it off, pound a short socket on the remaining hex, then use heat and a long breaker bar and it should come out. I've had some nasty ones but I've yet to run into one I couldn't get out.

Lots and lots if heat. Hopefully you don't pull the threads out tho when you get it loose to take out

Have yet to have a sensor that can stand up to a big pipe wrench with a cheater pipe over it. Although that is for more extreme cases where hex is rounded off by previous attempts.

Man you guys have some shitty luck. Out of all the 30 bazillion DSM o2 sensors I've done, I've never had one fight. Just a 3' breaker bar and your crappy old parts store socket has gotten them all out.

Have you tried the freezeoff stuff that autozone sells I heard that stuff works wonders. I was also told that MAPP gas burns hotter then propane and can be used when trying to loosen bolts and such. Heat er up real good and then cool it down real quick.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back