The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Can i install a bigger turbo for maintenance without supporting mods?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjeclipse

Probationary Member
Mar 23, 2022
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hi guys my car is fully stock 1997 eclipse gst! So my turbo went out recently at 80k miles and found a really cheap barely used fp red turbo thats exact fit for my 2g. Im just wondering, only upgrade in the car was just aluminum intercooler piping all the way. I wanna know if i can install the turbo without tuning the car? Cause u do have ecm link v2 but theres no tuner in hawaii nor i have money to spend to tune yet. Just wondering can i install the fp red bigger turbo? Will it damage anything without tuning? Ill connect it to stock boost controller that the car comes with also.

You can but it will boost differently and possibly cause fuel cut, when i did my 16g on a stock system at 6k revs i hit fuel cut but below that it was fine. Its not ideal but if it gets you by for now just be safe and not stupid otherwise you will be spending more money to fix it then you have currently

The oil supply has to be fed from the oil filter housing so you would need a new line and a block off bolt for the head. Also, make sure the turbo is internally gated
Stock 2g's are restricted ofh fed anyway so ge is ok on that but might need a new line anyway to fit the chra vs the stock t25. I dont know if it will transfer over as i not used a fp turbo myself

In order for any turbocharger upgrade to be utilized, you have to add any two of the following: boost, RPM, displacement. The effective "limit" of the stock fuel system is around 26-27 lb/min of airflow, or around 260-270 crank horsepower. Even driving around on wastegate pressure a Red will be awfully boring on the stock fuel system being about 2000rpms laggier than the stock TB2566 and no ability to turn up the boost or rev higher without running out of fuel.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back