1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Buzzing at ~2000 rpm

Posted by GSX_Dan, Jul 7, 2019

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. GSX_Dan

GSX_Dan Proven Member

Joined Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Theres a weird buzzing from the cluster or behind it right around 2000rpm thats only there for about 100rpm

Switched clusters still does it. All electrical works, windows don't get as much juice as they should as they go up reallly slow and i cleaned the tracks. The power window relay and alternator relay in underhood fuse box get really hot even when engine not running or windows used. Power locks used to randomly lock so I pulled fuse. Could these be related?

2. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    The power window motor is likely getting weak/shorted internally and drawing too many amps like a bad starter motor will, this will overheat the relay and fuses/wires that feed it, the buzzing Im not sure on.

Drag Race Build 2K  16

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. steve

steve DSM Wiseman

Joined Feb 3, 2002
    St. Charles, Illinois
    Remember that 1G use a speedometer cable, is it possible it needs lubing or replacement?

3K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
  4. KYLE JORGENSEN

KYLE JORGENSEN Probationary Member

Joined Sep 22, 2018
    SPOKANE VALLEY, Washington
    Electrical interference possibly like what happens with the radio frequency interference you might have run separete grounds. This MSD ignition hits HARD but puts out a lot of RFI. this helped me. this is probably your buzzing noise

Street Build 624  16

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. GSX_Dan

GSX_Dan Proven Member

Joined Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I don't think its speedo related as the noise is not speed related. Just RPM. I can be in neutral reving.

I'll look at my grounds, i did redo the PTU ground when I had some ignition breakup, I didn't trust the old factory ground wire. I grounded it on the firewall. I know the cluster gets the RPM signal from PTU.. So it kindof makes sense if they're grounded in 2 spots there may be an issue? It's also off by 100rpm