The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

MPI relay buzzing! please help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TsiJohn333

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 25, 2010
Goffstown, New_Hampshire
I was with my girlfriend and son in my gvr4. We were driving down the road heading back to her house when we started to smell wires burning? i checked everything i could see but couldnt find anything that was shorting out. NOW when i shut my car off the MPI relay (little gold box under passanger side dash) will not stop buzzing. It shuts off when i start the car or keep it in the on position but it will not stop buzzing when the car is off. i either have to pull out the 20a mpi relay fuse under the hood or just unplug the mpi relay itself. Why is this buzzing? Its driving me crazy. My car starts fine and drives like how it usually does. i can still smell burning wires though.

Sounds like you may have a exposed wire, or a bad ground, something sounds like its shorting out. Its possible the relay is bad.

Thanks for the quick reply but if the relay is bad, wouldnt i not be able to start the car?

Well i never had that problem just blown fuse near the battery. Still wouldnt hurt to change it out, and check the wiring obviously if you smell a bad smell, something is burnt up.

Thats what im looking for now. i dont see anything yet. but can definitely smell something. Especially when the heat is on.

by the research ive done people say its the ecu or jsut a bad connection somewhere but whats different for me though compared to all of the other threads i have read is that my car still runs and drives fine. It just keeps buzzing when the car is off and burning wire smell coming from somewhere.

FOUND IT!!!! I pulled the ecu out and opened her up to find out one of the 6 retangular black chips on the board as melted away. it is either IC107 or IS107... if your looking at the ecu, (with the eprom chip at the bottom right) its the third black chip from the left at the top right side of the board that had melted away. Anyone know what 107 is for? i know 106 and 108 has something to do with idle.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back