1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Buschur Racing's new torque converter bolt retainers

Posted by david buschur, May 23, 2014

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. david buschur

david buschur Proven Member

Joined Mar 29, 2004
    wakeman, oh, Ohio
    Hey guys,

NO MORE TORQUE CONVERTER BOLTS COMING LOOSE!!!!!!

We haven't been involved in the DSM auto trans business very long, it was always something we overlooked. Now that we are we have experienced the converter bolts coming loose and see what a huge problem it is.

I made up a little drawing, had some parts cut and now have the solution. Fitment is perfect and you can say good bye to worrying about the converter bolts backing out.

The new bolt retainers install under your torque converter bolts and then there are two tabs per bolt that lock back in over the head of the bolt, making it impossible for the bolts to come loose.

We released these yesterday on the Buschur Racing Facebook page and sold out of the first batch. I have 25 more sets that will be here in a day or two.

They are $40 for the set plus shipping.

Just call us at the shop to order. 440-839-1900

Attached Files:

talonracer12 likes this.
  2. 4gsx63

4gsx63 Proven Member

Joined Jan 27, 2003
    Concord, North Carolina
    Hi David, I will be using 2G setup in a 1G with PI billet converter. Are there any clearance issues using these tabs with the 8 bolts PI supplied with their converters? Thanks.

3. david buschur

Joined Mar 29, 2004
    wakeman, oh, Ohio
    I have no idea, I won't even guess. I've never seen one of those converters to be honest and I'm not familiar with the bolt spacing either. We have re-stalled stock converters in all of our 1g/2g and EVO transmissions and they are working fine, the converters that is.

4. turbodsm90

turbodsm90 Freelancer

Joined Aug 20, 2002
    Bay Area, California
    These are spaced evenly for a 4 bolt mounting pad converter it looks like. The precision uses 8 bolts and you will be fine with nord lock washers or only loc tite. The load is spread out much more with 8 mounting pads on the precision converter vs 4 on the stock converters.

Its seems the bolts will "rock" back and forth and eventually work themselves out. I have noticed this becoming more of an issue on higher revving setups.

Dave, did you ever get a chance to try out nord lock washers? I have found those with a heavy dose of loctite to work great as well. Even after a bottle of loctite and buying the washers, your invention seems to be the cheaper alternative.

2K  0

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    9.26 @ 148.6 · 1G DSM
  5. david buschur

Joined Mar 29, 2004
    wakeman, oh, Ohio
    These are evenly spaced for the factory four bolt pattern. I haven't tried the Nord lock washers but red Loctite doesn't hold them in and I know Kiggly has bolt kits and such to try to solve it too. I'd assume he's tried everything at this point.

These are a no brainer (obviously since I thought of it) and will keep the bolts in, end of story.

6. lbz34

lbz34 Proven Member

Joined Jul 1, 2004
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Just ordered a set, was thinking of safety wiring them in but this should be a bit easier to work with when pulling and reinstalling.

Drag Race Build 693  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    automatic · 1G DSM
  7. david buschur

Joined Mar 29, 2004
    wakeman, oh, Ohio
    I tried safety wire and it didn't work, the wire broke.

8. david buschur

Joined Mar 29, 2004
    wakeman, oh, Ohio
    If anyone has an 8 bolt converter or flex plate they want to send me and let me have it for a few days I will build them a free set of these plates for their car.

9. GRAVEDIGGER

GRAVEDIGGER Proven Member

Joined Nov 26, 2007
    Uniontown, Ohio
    Wow! No kidding? OMG

That's cool! :thumb: :cool:

2K  18

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.149 @ 115.940 · 1G DSM
  10. talonracer12

talonracer12 Proven Member

Joined Jan 26, 2009
    Victorville, California
    Just ordered a set! Thanks for helping the DSM community out!

Eric

Street Build 1K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    automatic · 1G DSM

Drag Race Build 1K  0

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    11.588 @ 129.210 · 1G DSM
    david buschur likes this.
  11. david buschur

Joined Mar 29, 2004
    wakeman, oh, Ohio
    I realized I have the flex plate here already for the 8 bolt units. I'll get some cut.

turbodsm90 likes this.
  12. 1qkfwd

1qkfwd DSM Wiseman

Joined Sep 16, 2005
    Sun Valley, Nevada
    Certain bolts that these wont fit? I know I'll have to run a 1/2" bolt with the converter that I have.

3K  0

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    10.677 @ 128.100 · 1G DSM
  13. david buschur

Joined Mar 29, 2004
    wakeman, oh, Ohio
    The holes in the retainers are the same size as the holes as the Kiggly Flexplates, so I'd assume any bolt you need to run will fit unless it's some bastard ordeal nobody else is using.

14. Boomdeeze

Boomdeeze Proven Member

Joined Jul 5, 2009
    Independence, Minnesota
    Anyone tested to see if this fixes the problem? If so, what bolts are you using with the plates? ARP does not make torque converter bolts for the 2G which stinks. I just ordered this so just wondering what bolts you guys are running with this.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014

Street Build 4K  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    10.793 @ 128.98 · 2G DSM
  15. v8s_are_slow

v8s_are_slow Proven Member

Joined Sep 30, 2002
    Panama City, Florida
    I know this is an old thread so not sure if these are still available. I didn't see them on the website and I know you're not running the shop anymore. Debating on getting a better converter over the restalled and nitrous. So if I get the 8 bolt unit, would the offer still stand if I send the converter your way or are you just totally done with the shop? Feedback appreciated, if you ever get this.

2K  20

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    10.949 @ 129.77 · 2G DSM