The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

420A Burning oil and coolant, smoking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rschulberger

Probationary Member
Apr 4, 2019
Sellersville, Pennsylvania
I have a 1995 Talon esi I bought about a month ago. The seller said he put a remanufactured engine in about ~40k miles ago. The first problem I noticed was white is smoke coming from right front side of hood after running it hardish and sitting at a stop light, nothing major but definitely noticable. The guy who put the engine in didn't put the coolant tank bracket back in so I assumed it was from the tank rubbing on the pulley but I got one at the junkyard and put it on a bracket and the problem is still there. Second, I noticed on occasion at start up and rarely while I'm idling after driving white smoke will come out of the exhaust. Yes it is going through coolant I've had to top it off twice in the 5000miles I've put on it, I've also changed the oil and had to add oil 2 or 3 times. I did a compression test and the figures are normal, I'm leaning towards replacing the valve cover gasket and and the rings that come with it. There is oil sitting on top of the spark plugs, but the spark plugs o replaced indicated normal clean burning conditions, reddish brown on the spark (I matched it to a spark plug problem diagram and it matched perfectly with normal burning). I've added oil additive and changed the oil after 2k miles with that as well as put a can of seafoam through the gas. There is a loud whistle at 4-6k rpm that I haven't investigated, my instincts tell me small exhaust leak for that or maybe a pulley. I use 5-30 high mileage conventional oil. What do you guys think? Will a valve cover gasket properly installed solve my problem or is there another problem for the coolant such as head gasket. This is my 4th car this year (blew 2 engines a transmission) so I hope the engine is fine. Thanks for your time and I'm willing to test all your solutions.

It is the 420a engine obviously but I wanted to make sure all the information is there.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back