The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Broken axle Fwd

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboAnything

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 6, 2004
Carol Stream, Illinois
So i just got all my new parts on the car and im thinking if anything is in danger it's my stock bottom end. Well the first thing to go is my drivers side axle all i did was floor it in 1st and as soon as i hit full boost it made the cv explode! Now i have never busted a axle in my dsm and im pretty sure i was not making more power then with the last setup. So is this a problem for anyone else or was it a fluke?

The car had new axle's 6-months ago
with a street tire (g-force sport) and only 17psi of boost.

Autozone Axles are known to be weaker than oem.

4 Good Reasons Not To Buy CV Driveaxles With Reground Components

1. So, you'd be better off get a good JY axle that has never been replaced.

2. Or: the 1993-1994 and all 2G fwd turbo cars have thicher diameter axles. You could grab a diff from one of those years for cheap and get an UNCUT axle (from raxles or some place similar). Or go to a JY. You'll be plenty strong. You'll likely need matching tranny seals. I can't remember.

3. Since you broke your driverside axle: keep your old diff. You can swap in an AWD (driver side) w/ the diameter axles you have now. Now you have equal length half shafts. If you get a good set of Raxles, then it likely won't break. There's a more expensive company, but I can't seam to find the link. Or get a known good used AWD drivers side axle. If you still have your ac compressor installed then you should not need a spacer for the for mounting the carrier bearing to the block. You MAY need an AWD driverside tranny seal. Some have reported leaking. Equal length half shafts will help negate torque steer and wheelhop. It will improve cornering and straight line traction.

Nice to see another FWD guy pushing their car a bit :thumb:

I aready have AWD axels with the intermediate shaft.

No. Raxles do not build to remaufacturing specs. They build to oem specs. If he breaks a raxles axle then he'd break a brand new uncut oem axle.

TurboAnything said:
I aready have AWD axels with the intermediate shaft.

I'd get uncut axles then. Again, there's a strength difference between a typical remanufactured axle and a Raxles or NEW axle from the dealer.

Did you break the original axles, thus the replacement 6 months ago? or did you replace them because of clicking or wearing?

Well i wanted to switch to the equal length axels and my old CV joints were bad so i replaced them. My buddie works at autozone so he got the set for $40 and he gets me new ones for free.

I broke a raxles 1 month after putting it in.

What do you have that's not breaking now? I agree that stock 1g 1990-1992 axles are not strong enough to take the abuse w/ a medium turbo and sticky tread, but anything's better than a cheapo reman, imho.

I read your threads on your track results, BTW. Good work :thumb: .

Well i wanted to switch to the equal length axels and my old CV joints were bad so i replaced them. My buddie works at autozone so he got the set for $40 and he gets me new ones for free.

That's a nice hookup. Replacing them for free every few months would be ok if you wern't stranded when the axle broke

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back