The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Brake bleeder broken off in caliper.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Widow97

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 2, 2010
Oxbow, North_Dakota
Is there a way of getting this out or am I stuck buying a caliper? I have tried grabbing the little nub left sticking out with a vise grip, and it just ate away at what was left sticking out. it's pretty much flush now. A bolt extractor just slips, and i drilled it out some to get the extractor in. Is my caliper fvcked?

I tried drilling mine out for 3 days before giving up on it. It's hard to tell how far down you've drilled until you finally bottom out and completely ruin the caliper. When the 1g one broke off I tried turning it out with a vice, but after that failed I gave in and just bought the new caliper.

Was the caliper with the broken bleeder disconnected??? I had to bleed my brakes and also broke one of the bleeders!!! Front drivers side!!! Luckily this is not the brake with the bad brake line that was replaced!!! However, my car is a 93 gst without abs!! Stops straight!!

I snapped a bleeder on my brother's winter beater Saturn when I was in the process of beading the breaks but got her out after. I soaked it in PB blaster for a few min, tapped in an easy out and then took a pair of channel locks to turn it and after a couple min of cussing it was out! Was a pain in the ass but it's doable cause there was no way in hell I was going to replace a caliper on that POS

I've done the same thing I heated the remaining piece of bleeder screw with a map gas torch and used some pb blaster and it came right out.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Ok, I have it soaking in WD-40. I will try heating it up with a propane torch (that's all i have access to) tonight and using an easy out. Thanks for the suggestion.

If the extractor wont do it, just go to the opposite side, remove the bleeder, insert your drillbit til it bottoms out, and mark the bit by wrapping tape around it. This way, you will know how far you can drill on the other caliper. Ive had to do something similar before and had to progressively drill, switching to slightly larger bits as I went. REVERSE bits work wonders cause once you get the broken part thin enough, the reverse bitll sometimes grab it and literally unscrew it out for you :sneaky:

I have used a pnuematic scribe tool to extract broken bolt before. The vibration will sometimes help in the extraction process as you use the tip of the scribe to unscrew the bolt.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

this just happened to me, i drilled a new one right next to the broken one and thread it, we'll see if its going to work, just need to get the bleeder. would this work?

I knew this was a 2G thread before I even opened it. I'd like to backhand the engineer that thought it was an awesome idea to downsize to a 7mm bleeder for the 2G models.

On a positive note though, remanufacturered calipers run about $60 last time I checked. Might be more than it's worth trying to get the broken piece back out.

I knew this was a 2G thread before I even opened it. I'd like to backhand the engineer that thought it was an awesome idea to downsize to a 7mm bleeder for the 2G models.

On a positive note though, remanufacturered calipers run about $60 last time I checked. Might be more than it's worth trying to get the broken piece back out.

your right, might as well get a new one, it's $40 at autozone with core.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back