The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Boost it or swap it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boosted99_420

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 26, 2010
Fort Carson, Colorado
Ok i have been thinkin about a 4g63 swap, then started hearing horror stories about them. So ive come to a conclusion and desided on a small poll. Should i go with turbo kit or evo 4 full swap (engine, tranny, wireing harness, ecu, etc. about $4500 to finish) Or go with Hahn RaceCraft Stage II Turbo Kit, JE 8.8:1 Pistons, Eagle Rods, Cometic head gasket, ARP head studs, ACL bearings, gates kevlar timing belt, ARP Main studs, crower stage 2 turbo cams, crower valves and titanium retainers, PEP Valves, SBI pt cruiser style rockers, and SBI pt cruiser style lifters. (about $5700)

*car is a 99 420 eclipse*

Last edited:
Ok i have been thinkin about a 4g63 swap, then started hearing horror stories about them. So ive come to a conclusion and desided on a small poll. Should i go with turbo kit or evo 4 full swap (engine, tranny, wireing harness, ecu, etc. about $4500 to finish) Or go with Hahn RaceCraft Stage II Turbo Kit, JE 8.8:1 Pistons, Eagle Rods, Cometic head gasket, ARP head studs, ACL bearings, gates kevlar timing belt, ARP Main studs, crower stage 2 turbo cams, crower valves and titanium retainers, PEP Valves, SBI pt cruiser style rockers, and SBI pt cruiser stule lifters. (about $5700)

what kind of car? your name suggests you already have a turbo 420A but your profile says you have a GS-T.

dude asking if you should boost a 420a or go for a 4g63 on THIS WEBSITE is pretty pointless.

i can already tell you the results:

5% will say boost it
80% will say sell it and buy a factory turbo dsm
15% will say swap it.

maybe not exact numbers, but that's how it will go.

personally IMO if you already have a 420a, boost it. the swap is hard, and you will gain more HP boosting a 420a then swapping a 4g63 for the same price in the short term. in the long term a 4g63 passes what the 420a is capable of, due to a much larger aftermarket, and considerable more research into it's limits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I guess this all depends on what kind of coin you are willing to dish out and how much work you are willing to do. If you are thinking of swapping I would swap a 2.4 cloud car block instead of a 4g. Its just easier. But if you are determined on a 4g63 swap, I believe the Evo 8 motor bolts up in the stock 420a mounts, its just a little to close to one side iirc.

Swap swap swap, or find a turbo car, its up to you in the end its your money and your car. Youll find your going to get lots of opions and ideas. See i wouldnt bother but again thats me.

what kind of car? your name suggests you already have a turbo 420A but your profile says you have a GS-T.

was going to boost mine a long time ago then family matters came up and funds went kerplunk and now i have the means of doing it and i hate driving an N/A car unless its a V-8. If i dont do this imma buy a 03 Cobra or 02 Z-28.

If i don't do this I'm going to buy a 03 Cobra or 02 Z-28.

Saying this here is like a Klan member telling everyone at the meeting he's dating a (insert non-caucasian ethnicity here) woman.

If you have a considerable amount of money sitting around like that, do something unique with it. Most of all though, your top priority is to do what you want to do. My opinion: Swap it. I've heard "tales" of people doing this but never any documented proof of it. At least not lately. That would gain my kudos. Not that they're worth much, but you'd have them.:thumb:

Saying this here is like a Klan member telling everyone at the meeting he's dating a (insert non-caucasian ethnicity here) woman.

If you have a considerable amount of money sitting around like that, do something unique with it. Most of all though, your top priority is to do what you want to do. My opinion: Swap it. I've heard "tales" of people doing this but never any documented proof of it. At least not lately. That would gain my kudos. Not that they're worth much, but you'd have them.:thumb:

True Unique is a plus, and i know the steps to do the swap, so i can post how to do it on here. the hard part is the AWD conversion LOL lots of time and money. But also in my area its rare to even see a 2nd gen eclipse. Im lucky enough to own a 96 GST with 6 bolt swap, and a 99 420 OZ rally edition. And a friend picked up a deal on a 97 GSX for $500 (ended up blowing the engine after getting it running still a mystery how seeing how we never went over 45mph and 3k rpm) So a 420a Turbo with a built engine is very rare plus there is a loud mouth honda guy that thinks his lil LS Vtec turbo hatch will kill everything, so i wanna just prove he still cant match DSM. For crying out loud hes so confident hes calling out a 71 Camaro with a 400ci SBC in it built and runs 12s before it got the nitrous.

AWD conversion is the easy part. I'm not sure how the EVO trans mounts, but as far as the rear subframe assembly, that's easy, just time consuming. If you can find a donor car, that's your cost, plus a couple of bolts and stock steel plate. Either way you decide to slice it, keep us updated on your blog. I'd like to see some progress pics on this when you get started.

You don't need to do all that internal work unless you're looking for a really powerful car...You can turbo it for around $1k and most are happy with the results.

I say if it's an RS, awd/ swap it. If it's a GS, sell it and get a GSX and build it. The only advantage of keeping your current car is weight and at 2700 lbs full weight RS is way better than a butchered GSX @ 2900 lbs.

I say if it's an RS, awd/ swap it. If it's a GS, sell it and get a GSX and build it. The only advantage of keeping your current car is weight and at 2700 lbs full weight RS is way better than a butchered GSX @ 2900 lbs.

You realize that swapping in the AWD platform will negate any weight advantages the RS originally had, right?

why would i go from eather seats to crappy cloth seats? So i would rather have a GS over an RS.

AWD conversion is the easy part. I'm not sure how the EVO trans mounts, but as far as the rear subframe assembly, that's easy, just time consuming. If you can find a donor car, that's your cost, plus a couple of bolts and stock steel plate. Either way you decide to slice it, keep us updated on your blog. I'd like to see some progress pics on this when you get started.

you have to make ## own tranny mounts for it to fit perfectly.

You don't need to do all that internal work unless you're looking for a really powerful car...You can turbo it for around $1k and most are happy with the results.

im lookin for some power plus i need a rebuild anyways (rolling on 210k miles) so why not build it up incase i wanna make it all power in the near future.

Boost it I would like to see another boosted 420a here in La. I only know of one other. Or keep it for a dd and get a project car. Thats my o2. But then again I do not dd a DSM and have 3 in the drive LOL (now I do need to get rid of two)

The evo swap also requires modification to the from sub frame. The transfer case does not fit. You also can not use the dsm rear diff it requires the evo diff because of gear ratios.

just hit it with a 75 wet shot. I went 14.4@98 a while back with a stock rs and a 75 shot. Probably faster than if you turbo'd the stock 420a motor. Swapping in a 4g63 isn't a good idea at all. You can pick up a 2g GST for cheaper and it would be a lot easier too.

dude asking if you should boost a 420a or go for a 4g63 on THIS WEBSITE is pretty pointless.

i can already tell you the results:

5% will say boost it
80% will say sell it and buy a factory turbo dsm
15% will say swap it.

you nailed it! :thumb: i fall under the 80%

even tho with the kinda money he wants to spend he can pretty much buy a new turbo model AND keep his 420a

Last edited by a moderator:
you nailed it! :thumb: i fall under the 80%

even tho with the kinda money he wants to spend he can pretty much buy a new turbo model AND keep his 420a

have one turbo already :thumb:

Boost it I would like to see another boosted 420a here in La. I only know of one other. Or keep it for a dd and get a project car. Thats my o2. But then again I do not dd a DSM and have 3 in the drive LOL (now I do need to get rid of two)

The evo swap also requires modification to the from sub frame. The transfer case does not fit. You also can not use the dsm rear diff it requires the evo diff because of gear ratios.

theres one in monroe just has a problem with plug into computer keeps fallin out.

I know a lot you you guys are kinda slow in the head and don't really comprehend what you read. Maybe It will be easier to understand if I say it more plainly.

He already owns a turbo car, and selling his car wasn't one of the options he listed; Either 4g63 swap or boost the 420a.

On top of that, making those exact "suggestions" are plainly against the rules for this section of the site.

OP: If you can afford it, and you really really want to swap it, swap it. I would just boost the engine that's already in there, though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back