The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Boost creep?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1997TALONTSIAWD

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2003
GeorgiaUS
I just purchased a stainless steel 3 inch downpipe from Megan Racing. I got it shipped for 83.00. I've heard that I will suffer from boost creep is this true? I still have the stock turbo. What should I get to avoid boost creep, Waste gate? I was also wondering about removing the tube that goes to my intake from my PVC. Can you put a small breather filter there or will this cause some problems? Any help would be appreciated? :talon:

the reason it creeps is because your stock wastegate is not big enough to compinsate for the excess flow of air now that you have bigger exhaust, it pretty much cant catch up with the other side of the turbo and it builds un-wanted boost.

Your stock turbo should not creep. That usually happens when people are restricting the flow through the wastegate passage out to the exhaust. Your stock turbo will not produce enough air that the 3inch can not dispose of it. If it does you need to port out the wastegate passage.

Removing the stock "dumptube" can cause a rich mixture at idle and inbetween shifts. Some people get the problems, others don't. Try it out first.

Can I get an aftermarket wastegate that will keep up and that I can use on a upgraded turbo like an evoIII 16G and if so how much trouble is it to use one on a stock turbo?

Getting an external wastegate for your t25 is not needed for now. When you go with a larger turbo you can buy it like so. You should be just fine with what you have for now. :thumb:

Then why do all the post that I read say that I will have boost creep?And what about the filter can that be done or should I just get a oil catch can.

Boost creep is not always going to happen. The thing is you have to install it to see what might happen.

As far as the oil catch can, save yourself some money and just replace it with a longer rubber hose that points to the ground. Make sure it clears anything you do not want to get any oil on. Or you can set it up with a cheap FUEL FILTER style catch. Looks like this....Look about 3 inches off the block. Cost like $1.00 every oil change.

Attachments

• DSC00011.JPG
    DSC00011.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 607
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back