1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G BLT Air Coming From Valve Cover Breather Hose

Posted by JeffwithaG, Mar 10, 2019

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. JeffwithaG

JeffwithaG Probationary Member

Joined Nov 30, 2017
    Flemington, New Jersey
    Hi everyone, I am attempting to determine why my GSX Bucks/Hesitates when going WOT. I can gradually build boost all day long without an issue, but if I floor it, it falls flat on its face. It bucks, pops, hesitates, etc. I have the same issue when swapping Mass Airflow Sensors and I dont have any CEL's.

Anyway, I am troubleshooting the issue with a BLT. I fixed a small leak at the BOV flange, but now there is air coming out of the hose from the Valve Cover that routes back to the air intake. I swapped out PCV's; I have a genuine Mitsubishi one on now, I also verified its working appropriately and I get the same result. I also get the same result when doing the BLT with the engine cold or warm.

I'm not sure if this means turbo shaft seals are bad? Or something else. The car doesnt smoke and it idles nicely.

I've attached a picture. Its coming from the hose resting on the BOV. I'm sure you all know this as you are all smart as hell and well versed with these cars. I'm just trying to fumble my way through this.

I'm leaning towards the knock sensor or the TPS being incorrectly adjusted. I went through the procedure of adjusting TPS when I installed the rebuilt throttle body. I dont have a pocket logger or DSM link.

I'm really stumped. Anyone in New Jersey want to work on this car haha? I just want to be able to drive it once with full power and enjoy the DSM awesomeness.

Maintenance Includes:

New NGK Plugs
    New NGK Wires
    New Fuel Filter
    OEM PCV Valve
    OEM Oil Cap
    Flow Tested 450cc Fuel Injectors
    OEM Fuel Rail
    Fuel Pressure Regulator
    Rebuilt Throttle Body
    New Crank Position Sensor
    New Alternator
    New Alternator Belt
    New Battery
    New EGR Valve
    Timing Belt/ Water Pump
    Air Filter
    New Valve Cover Gasket
    New Coolant Temp Sensor

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019

Street Build 200  2

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. Mauispyder

Mauispyder Supporting Member

Joined Jan 20, 2015
    Kula, Hawaii
    When was the last time your spark plug wires were replaced?

1K  2

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. JeffwithaG

Joined Nov 30, 2017
    Flemington, New Jersey
    I have NGK Wires and Plugs, both have less than 200 miles on them. Gap on the plugs are in spec also.

Street Build 200  2

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    It's not uncommon to see air coming out of the VC during a BLT at the turbo because the turbo seals are "dynamic" and seals under use. The air escapes the seals and goes down the drain tube into the oil pan. As far as your sputtering, it's difficult to say as that could be caused by many things. Next item I'd check/replace would be fuel pump :)

Street Build 2K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  5. JeffwithaG

Joined Nov 30, 2017
    Flemington, New Jersey
    Awesome, thank you. I will search around for a test and a replacement option if needed. Part of me is happy I'm going down this rabbit hole of finding the source of the issue as I am getting a lot of normal maintenance items taken care of. This community has been invaluable for the knowledge base and getting items from the Classifieds.

Street Build 200  2

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Just to put it out there, NGK makes great spark plugs, their wires for these cars however, I have seen them brand new cause misfires, only to be fixed by swapping in used oem wires, Im not saying that its the problem here though, but just something to have in your head.

Drag Race Build 2K  13

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    PlanZero and 1990TSIAWDTALON like this.
  7. JeffwithaG

Joined Nov 30, 2017
    Flemington, New Jersey
    I had some cheap, off brand $10 RockAuto wires on it previously. I could see them sparking in the dark and decided to replace them with the NGK's. The same issue was occurring with both sets of wires.

Street Build 200  2

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. tk106

tk106 Proven Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    There's a write up on pcv system in dsm...they all leak. I put a one way check valve in the pcv hose and I hold 40 psi forever when BLT.

What did you gap the plugs to and which ngk plugs?
    How much boost are you running?

Street Build 1K  8

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    1990TSIAWDTALON likes this.
  9. JeffwithaG

Joined Nov 30, 2017
    Flemington, New Jersey
    I will check out the write up, thanks. Wires are NGK ME77/8100. Pugs are NGK BPR6EGP. The car has the stock T-25 at stock boost levels.

I think the plugs are the culprit. I pulled them and they look possibly lean fouled. Also, i adjusted the gap down to 0.028 and the car ran way worse. I bumped it up to 0.034 and it runs way better. The bogging started at roughly half throttle when gapped to 0.028. Should I check out BPR7ES maybe? I can never which are better for stock turbo/boost levels.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019

Street Build 200  2

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  10. tk106

tk106 Proven Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    6’s are fine for stock level. 7’s are colder plug. You’ll want 7’s when you make more power. Try gapping to .30 then.

Street Build 1K  8

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  11. JeffwithaG

Joined Nov 30, 2017
    Flemington, New Jersey
    Okay I will try that out tomorrow. I might try to swing by a store tomorrow for a new set just to be doubly sure.

Street Build 200  2

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  12. JeffwithaG

Joined Nov 30, 2017
    Flemington, New Jersey
    I got some new plugs and gapped them to 0.030, same issue occurs. Bucking, popping at WOT. I can ease into boost all day., but once the accelerator gets to 70% is where the issues occur.

I'm going to test the coils and O2 sensor this weekend. After that, I have nothing left. I will look for a Mitsubishi/Evo/DSM specific shop to help out. I dont know anyone around my area with a lot of DSM knowledge.

Street Build 200  2

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  13. Vegas smith

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    It's possible your MAF sensor is going bad. I don't believe you can clean it so look into signs of a bad maf and decide if it's worth buying a used one to see.

Street Build 2K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  14. Vegas smith

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    This inspired me to take out my fairly new ngks and throw in an old set of magnacores.....car idles much better with no miss. Bravo.

Street Build 2K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  15. JeffwithaG

Joined Nov 30, 2017
    Flemington, New Jersey
    I have three 2g Mass Airflow Sensors, its does the same with all three.

Street Build 200  2

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  16. Vegas smith

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    I didn't ask you how many you had. I said get another one! JK

Street Build 2K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM