The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Blown headgasket-back side of head lifting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wil

Probationary Member
Dec 15, 2002
Boston_Ma
Recently, I blew my headgasket again and noticed the back side of the head lifts. I don't remember this being the case when the car was more stock. Could it have anything to do with the fact that I have an aftermarket intake manifold and deleted the bracket that holds the intake?

Background: I'm running a magnus 2.4 liter block, ARP head studs torqued to 100-110 ft/lbs with ARP moly, first time cometic headgasket, second time Felpro headgasket, magnus two piece sheetmetal intake, 60-1 turbo with 8cm turbine housing.

Each time the headgasket blew I was running 30+ psi of boost due to the external wastegate failing to open. I don't know how much exactly cause my gauge only goes to 30. Also, all 4 cylinders were blowing out the rear half of the gasket. On the cometic is was pretty close to 180 degrees of failure on all four.

Any insight would be appreciated.

TIA!

Wil said:
ARP head studs torqued to 100-110 ft/lbs with ARP moly

I just did my ARP's ... and from all the research I've done, you're only supposed to go to 80 ft/lbs with arp moly. I believe you are overtorqueing your head.

110 ft/lbs sounds more like when you are using 30w oil

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back