The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Blip/misfire

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuGs

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 20, 2008
Marshall, Wisconsin
98 had mostly stock. Hard ic pipes, 16g turbo, stock injectors and aftermarket exhaust

So first off I been having issues with my car I can't for the life of me figure out. But I'm curious about this issue.

I found ou my cam trigger disc or plate(whichever you want to call it) was 180 out, yes it ran and drove. So I put it the proper way. Now at idle and acceleration I have a miss/blip, specially when warm. I noticed that if I unplug my cam sensor it stops while at idle, and does not die. Cam sensor is new. And if I plug it back in the miss/blip returns. If I shut the car off while unplugged it doesn't start(which is normal) note when the cam trigger disc or plate was 180 out it didn't miss/blip

So my question is. Why for the miss/blip stop once sensor is unplugged?

Only things I can think of is....

Timing off very very slightly
Bad fuel pressure

How do you know it was 180 deg off? CAS controls spark. Are you getting spark? do you have any CELs?

From another thread: "When going to install the CAS, make sure you don't have it 180 degrees out. There are timing marks on the unit itself: the twirling piece has a single "V" shaped end, something like a Pacman mouth; the other is a dot on the body of the CAS, something like a Pacman pellet. Align it to where Pacman is going to eat the pellet and reinstall. The camshaft has a groove in it for the twirling piece to set in. Pop it in and secure it. Before torquing it down, you may need to adjust it slightly for correct ignition timing:
Engine Timing
Base Timing Adjustment"

Usually if you change something and it causes a problem, start with the ting you changed. Timing and fuel pressure don't make much sense.

How do you know it was 180 deg off? CAS controls spark. Are you getting spark? do you have any CELs?

From another thread: "When going to install the CAS, make sure you don't have it 180 degrees out. There are timing marks on the unit itself: the twirling piece has a single "V" shaped end, something like a Pacman mouth; the other is a dot on the body of the CAS, something like a Pacman pellet. Align it to where Pacman is going to eat the pellet and reinstall. The camshaft has a groove in it for the twirling piece to set in. Pop it in and secure it. Before torquing it down, you may need to adjust it slightly for correct ignition timing:
Engine Timing
Base Timing Adjustment"

Usually if you change something and it causes a problem, start with the ting you changed. Timing and fuel pressure don't make much sense.

Well if I had a first gen than that might be helpful. But I have a second gen. And inside the cas plate there is a cylinder type disc which triggers the cam sensor itself. Ignition is self adjusted there is no adjustments to it. When timing marks are lined up dowel pins facing up..the disc/plate inside the housing was 180 out.

Could your plug wires be hooked up incorrectly? Theoretically if your plug wires were backwards (1/4 coil withe 2/3 wires running to it and vice versa) it could allow your CAS to be hooked up backwards and function properly.

Also, create a profile.

Could your plug wires be hooked up incorrectly? Theoretically if your plug wires were backwards (1/4 coil withe 2/3 wires running to it and vice versa) it could allow your CAS to be hooked up backwards and function properly.

Also, create a profile.

Wires are hooked up properly. Crap yeah I should update my profile. It's been some time since I dealt with a dsm

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back