The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

big oil leak after replacing exhaust manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

convict843

Probationary Member
Sep 28, 2009
Othello, Washington
So i just replaced my cracked exhaust manifold on my 92 eagle talon awd turbo and i started my car and oil was pouring out the bottom of my engine. I got down under the engine and it looked like it was coming from my oil return line but not really sure... I had to pry my old exhaust manifold out with a pry bar due to bolt breaking off. Maybe moved it too much cracked it? Please help. thanks

So i just replaced my cracked exhaust manifold on my 92 eagle talon awd turbo and i started my car and oil was pouring out the bottom of my engine. I got down under the engine and it looked like it was coming from my oil return line but not really sure... I had to pry my old exhaust manifold out with a pry bar due to bolt breaking off. Maybe moved it too much cracked it? Please help. thanks
im not trying to be rude, just realistic... none of us were there when you did the install so i don't know what could have possibly happened. from what your saying though it sounds like you already know exactly what you need to look at first, your oil drain.
to remove your oil drain just drop the bolt from your oil pan and drain the oil out (might as well do an oil change while your at it?) and remove the (2) 10mm bolts connecting the oil drain to the bottom of the turbo then the (2) 10mm bolts connecting it to the oil pan.

:dsm:

Alright so I checked the oil return line and of course you guys were right about where the leak was coming from. The line had sheared in half and it was shooting oil out like a cut artery. I took the line off and sawed the flex part of the oil return line off and am thinking about using some heater hose and hose clamps to connect the two remaining pieces for a quick temporary fix. Do you guys think it will work? Or will the pressure be too much?

For an oil drain it should be fine for a quick fix. I don't know how long you plan on using the heater hose but it will swell up from the oil. After you install it all, just run the car and see if it leaks at all when you rev it up. Oil pressure is RPM related so you can check that in your garage.

Alright so I checked the oil return line and of course you guys were right about where the leak was coming from. The line had sheared in half and it was shooting oil out like a cut artery. I took the line off and sawed the flex part of the oil return line off and am thinking about using some heater hose and hose clamps to connect the two remaining pieces for a quick temporary fix. Do you guys think it will work? Or will the pressure be too much?
My question is, is your motor/car worth a $65.00 oil drain? Thats a sweet band aid to the problem if your stranded and have no choice BUT to mock up a gheddo oil drain with a chance you might destroy your motor makes no sense. If you have another means of transportation for 3-4 days why not do the right thing and order the $65 oil drain + gaskets and let the DSM sit. If that rubber hose fails while your going any speed those 4.6 qts of oil your 4g63 has in it is going to be on the pavement real quick. I know you said you were going to use it for a "quick temporary fix" but your "quick fix" can turn into a HUGE problem. Not worth it...

:dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back