The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falcon91

Proven Member
May 14, 2018
Fredericksburg, Iowa
hey guys, is it possible that my battery could be weak enough to not allow my car to start? Hooked up a charger for awhile at 10amp rate and it wouldn’t turn over, turned it up to 50amps for Awhile and it turns over very roughly but won’t fire. I’m getting fuel but haven’t checked spark (getting spark tester Monday). I lm wondering if the charger alone isn’t enough to make spark cause my battery is so dead.

Definitely, hooked up a new battery when i had same issue and starts without a hesitation now;-)

May be your battery is just junk. A lot of cheaper batteries die and just won't hold or take a charge once they've been discharged to low. I've had this issue with everstarts, bOMGaars house brand and well any house brand from major retailers. They just dont use much lead and the lead isn't that pure, the links between the cells is small all that adds up to shit batteries. I'm currently using a motorcraft battery that I can't tell you how many times it's been discharged and recharged I've even measured as low as 10v across the posts and it always comes back. Trust me the extra 20 to 40 dollars spent on a good battery pays it forward. If I didn't get this one for free ( subbed a core for it at work I work as a ford tech) I'd have an interstate. The one in my old truck made it 10yrs till it died and it would sit up to 3 months without starting. Damn good batteries.

May be your battery is just junk. A lot of cheaper batteries die and just won't hold or take a charge once they've been discharged to low. I've had this issue with everstarts, bOMGaars house brand and well any house brand from major retailers. They just dont use much lead and the lead isn't that pure, the links between the cells is small all that adds up to sh** batteries. I'm currently using a motorcraft battery that I can't tell you how many times it's been discharged and recharged I've even measured as low as 10v across the posts and it always comes back. Trust me the extra 20 to 40 dollars spent on a good battery pays it forward. If I didn't get this one for free ( subbed a core for it at work I work as a ford tech) I'd have an interstate. The one in my old truck made it 10yrs till it died and it would sit up to 3 months without starting. Damn good batteries.
It’s an everstart LOL, I’m gonna get a quality battery tomorrow and let you know!

I hooked a different battery (not new, but thought to be good) up to the car and also tried jumping it, battery read 12.5V at rest and went down to 10V when turning over. Is that still not enough juice? Turns over pretty rough but still no start. I checked power to everything i can think of, I have power going to the coils, (COP Type, Not sure what brand name) I'm thinking if the new battery doesn't resolve the issue, could it be my coils? The previous owner installed the COP type but everywhere I've read says to use OEM as it is the most reliable. Can anyone point me in the right direction to make the switch back to the OEM style? And am i correct in saying that the 90' GSX has a different coil set up the the 91+ DSM's? Upon inspection of the boots on my current set up one boot is different than the other three, and the entire thing seems cobbled together. I have a AEM ECU, does this also act as a CDI? Also if i'm getting power to the coils am i safe to assume my ECU is not the culprit? Sorry for all the rookie questions i'm new to this platform,
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Another question, by shear luck there’s a 90’ eclipse at my local junkyard, it’s a non turbo tho. Can I use the coil and plug set up on my AWD Turbo?

well finally got the car to run, ended up being the Power TR unit. Switched it one in my car out with the one from the non turbo donor car and she fired right up! Thanks for the help guys.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back