1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Battery/starting issue

Posted by Falcon91, Jun 2, 2018

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. Falcon91

Falcon91 Proven Member

Joined May 14, 2018
    Fredericksburg, Iowa
    hey guys, is it possible that my battery could be weak enough to not allow my car to start? Hooked up a charger for awhile at 10amp rate and it wouldn’t turn over, turned it up to 50amps for Awhile and it turns over very roughly but won’t fire. I’m getting fuel but haven’t checked spark (getting spark tester Monday). I lm wondering if the charger alone isn’t enough to make spark cause my battery is so dead.

Street Build 528  7

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  2. boostdawd

boostdawd Supporting Member

Joined Apr 6, 2010
    phoenix, Arizona
    That could be an issue yes.

Check the volts at the battery they should be over 12.4 volts. Also make sure your terminals are clean and tight.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2018

Street Build 1K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM

Drag Race Build 4K  10

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  3. boriscsx

boriscsx Proven Member

Joined Sep 16, 2012
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Definitely, hooked up a new battery when i had same issue and starts without a hesitation now;-)

4. TK's9d2TSi

TK's9d2TSi Supporting Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Bring your battery to autozone or advanced and they test it. If it just needs a charge, they’ll charge it for free...no charge. Lol. I’d do that first before starting to dive into it

379  3

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Classic
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

423  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-
    fwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 3K  6

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.2 @ 120 · 1G DSM
  5. brian9397gsx

brian9397gsx Proven Member

Joined Apr 28, 2008
    sioux city, Iowa
    May be your battery is just junk. A lot of cheaper batteries die and just won't hold or take a charge once they've been discharged to low. I've had this issue with everstarts, bOMGaars house brand and well any house brand from major retailers. They just dont use much lead and the lead isn't that pure, the links between the cells is small all that adds up to sh** batteries. I'm currently using a motorcraft battery that I can't tell you how many times it's been discharged and recharged I've even measured as low as 10v across the posts and it always comes back. Trust me the extra 20 to 40 dollars spent on a good battery pays it forward. If I didn't get this one for free ( subbed a core for it at work I work as a ford tech) I'd have an interstate. The one in my old truck made it 10yrs till it died and it would sit up to 3 months without starting. Damn good batteries.

brian9397gsx

3K  0

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM
  6. Falcon91

Falcon91 Proven Member

Joined May 14, 2018
    Fredericksburg, Iowa
    It’s an everstart LOL, I’m gonna get a quality battery tomorrow and let you know!

Street Build 528  7

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  7. techboy

techboy Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2018
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    Get an Interstate as mentioned above.

Street Build 2K  6

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    13.876 @ 106.97 · 2G DSM
  8. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    Jump start it. If it jumps I would suspect the battery. I assume you've already ruled out connections and grounds

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  9. Falcon91

Falcon91 Proven Member

Joined May 14, 2018
    Fredericksburg, Iowa
    I hooked a different battery (not new, but thought to be good) up to the car and also tried jumping it, battery read 12.5V at rest and went down to 10V when turning over. Is that still not enough juice? Turns over pretty rough but still no start. I checked power to everything i can think of, I have power going to the coils, (COP Type, Not sure what brand name) I'm thinking if the new battery doesn't resolve the issue, could it be my coils? The previous owner installed the COP type but everywhere I've read says to use OEM as it is the most reliable. Can anyone point me in the right direction to make the switch back to the OEM style? And am i correct in saying that the 90' GSX has a different coil set up the the 91+ DSM's? Upon inspection of the boots on my current set up one boot is different than the other three, and the entire thing seems cobbled together. I have a AEM ECU, does this also act as a CDI? Also if i'm getting power to the coils am i safe to assume my ECU is not the culprit? Sorry for all the rookie questions i'm new to this platform, IMG950286.jpg IMG950287.jpg IMG950317.jpg IMG950318.jpg

Street Build 528  7

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  10. Falcon91

Falcon91 Proven Member

Joined May 14, 2018
    Fredericksburg, Iowa
    Another question, by shear luck there’s a 90’ eclipse at my local junkyard, it’s a non turbo tho. Can I use the coil and plug set up on my AWD Turbo?

Street Build 528  7

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  11. boostdawd

boostdawd Supporting Member

Joined Apr 6, 2010
    phoenix, Arizona
    Should be the same part yes. As long as its a non turbo 4g63 and not the 1.8l

Street Build 1K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM

Drag Race Build 4K  10

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  12. Falcon91

Falcon91 Proven Member

Joined May 14, 2018
    Fredericksburg, Iowa
    well finally got the car to run, ended up being the Power TR unit. Switched it one in my car out with the one from the non turbo donor car and she fired right up! Thanks for the help guys.

Street Build 528  7

awd · manual · 1G DSM