1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Bad 1st gear syncro. Looking for opinions.

Posted by gadams, Jun 11, 2019

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. gadams

gadams Probationary Member

Joined Mar 22, 2019
    Manchester, Maryland
    I'm building a 99 eclipse with a 97 4g63 drivetrain (FWD) I am pretty much done with everything and its good to be driven on the road once I get this one issues settled. When in 1st gear if you start to let the clutch out the transmission will pop out of gear and sometimes grind. It used to be that if I held the shifter up it would not do that but it appears to be getting worse. At this point I'm only confident in moving it forward in 2nd gear. Before I go ahead and buy parts I just want other peope's opinions. Does this seem like a bad 1st gear syncro? I should be able to replace that and toss the transmission back in right? Given the fact that I can get it to go in before letting the clutch out I don't think its a shift fork.

Thoughts?

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. stillrunning

stillrunning Proven Member

Joined Oct 10, 2013
    brandon, Florida
    Can also be bad bearings on the intermediate shaft, mine was kicking out of first and grinding, it was from the bearings being shot.
    It's hard to say what it will need until you open it up.
    May want to get a new 1st gear as well as the 1-2 hub and slider if it's been grinding a while as well as the syncro.
    Forget what the little teeth that lock the slider to the gear are called but they'll probably been worn from the grinding if its been going on a while.
    It's a slippery slope really, sometimes it's best to fix what is broke and not even think about the "while I'm here" scenarios, it gets price fast.
    To do it right you would also want to check the bearing preloads but again it gets to be a slippery slope to do it right.

Street Build 341  3

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM