The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Automatic transmission issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tduncan907

Probationary Member
Feb 25, 2012
Anchorage, Alaska
All right guys here's the deal. Just had the transmission on my 95 Gsx rebuilt (less then 5000 miles) and am having some issues. When I get up to highway speeds and cruise around 65-75 for very long I can initially feel the lockup solenoid kick in which keeps my rpms anywhere from 2900-3100 at speeds of 70-75 mph and it will stay in that rpm range for 5-10 minutes. Then all of a sudden the rpms will jump about 300-400 which makes me think the lock up solenoid is bad.
Working under this assumption I proceeded to check my wiring and found no shorts and then replaced the lockup solenoid even though it looked brand new still. Well after buttoning it all back up and leak checking the tranny I took it out for a 20 mile test drive. I merged onto the highway and saw the solenoid engage when my rpms decreased and held steady after I passed 60-65 mph and thought the problem had been fixed, but about ten miles later the same problem resurfaced and my rpms jumped up 300-400 again. I am at my wits end as far as troubleshooting goes and want anyone's help with trying to nail down my problem.
On a side note, is it going to tear the torque convertor or transmission up if I keep driving it with this problem not having been fixed?

Definitely isn't shifting from OD to 3rd cause when I turn the OD switch off after it does it's weird up speed thing it still jumps about 500-600 rpm. And I'll get back with the fluid type in a bit gotta find the bottle.

Well I took it to a shop and they can't figure it out either... They seem to think that it's either a faulty ground or that when I put my wideband and hid's on the car that I screwed it up. I know how to solder and I know what I did can't have been the problem because it was doing the same thing before I did any wiring at all. I think it may be a bad tcm so my question is how do I bench test the tcm?

Well I took it to a shop and they can't figure it out either... They seem to think that it's either a faulty ground or that when I put my wideband and hid's on the car that I screwed it up. I know how to solder and I know what I did can't have been the problem because it was doing the same thing before I did any wiring at all. I think it may be a bad tcm so my question is how do I bench test the tcm?
You can start by checking if the TCU has any codes..Heres a diagnostic how to and see what results you get: TCU Codes

The code it's throwing is a 47 which is an open tcc circuit. The tcc holds for a while then the circuit opens after being engaged for 2-5 miles.

The code it's throwing is a 47 which is an open tcc circuit. The tcc holds for a while then the circuit opens after being engaged for 2-5 miles.
In case of code 47, you need to check solenoid valve connector and torque converter clutch solenoid. I will check FSM for locations...it could be wiring as well..
The torque converter clutch solenoid is in the valve body, you have to drop the A/t trans oil pan.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Ya the solenoid has been replaced twice and the wiring all checked good. This was done by a certified transmission shop btw.

The TC clutch solenoid was replaced?
I checked a workshop manual and these are the other possibilities for this code :
Defective torque converter clutch.
Defective ignition signal line or pulse generator "B" circuit
Incorrect transmission fluid pressure.
Defective TCC solenoid.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Ya they pulled the pan and valve body twice, tested the wiring, and replaced the solenoid. What I am really worried about is if I am destroying it by driving it.

What about the actual torque converter clutch, was it a full rebuild?

Actually no it wasn't rebuilt hah that very well could be the culprit. But what makes me think it's electrical is that whenever I start the car, it holds for a while then goes out and if I shut it back off and start it up again then it will hold for a while and then release again

I was thinking mostly electrical as well, i will look up the manual at the shop computer and see if i can find more info tomorrow

i have the same issue with a '96 spyder. i can tell you the prolonged usage will cause strain on the engine. on mine it causes the thrust bearings to go out. (crankwalk). I dont knowhowlong the prev. owner had this problem but now i have to pull the tranny and now an engine rebuild.

It was the tcu. Bought a used one and eBay and it fixed the problem completely.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back