The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gst_hector99

Probationary Member
Oct 4, 2023
Illinois
Guys I’m so close to finishing this engine and I’ve tried looking this up and nothing as helped me. So I’m putting back on the transmission trying to figure out if I put the trans in wrong or a different way or something cause the whole half of the trans mission is sticking out from under the car and the torque converter is fully pressed into the flex plate which isn’t letting it crank idk what to do it’s probably something easy but I can’t see what it is 🤷🏽‍♂️ (It’s an Automatic Transmission! I should probably say that the trans I have was off a 6bolt and I’m now putting it into a 7bolt block idk if that’s why.)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Yeah, you have the original flex plate bolted to the torque converter, but a Kiggly adapter that seems to be unnecessarily installed, between the engine and transmission, attached only to the engine.

Either remove the stock flex plate and use the Kiggly adapter or remove the Kiggly adapter and use the stock flex plate.

Yeah, you have the original flex plate bolted to the torque converter, but a Kiggly adapter that seems to be unnecessarily installed, between the engine and transmission, attached only to the engine.

Either remove the stock flex plate and use the Kiggly adapter or remove the Kiggly adapter and use the stock flex plate.

This is before I put in the trans so somewhere on here is where I put something in wrong?

This is a parts diagram of what is supposed to be there. Number 9 is the flex plate that bolts to the torque converter (#23) with the four bolts (#24), one for each arm of the flex plate.

Number 9 (and #10) bolts to the crankshaft with the seven #11 bolts.

The Kiggly adapter, the gold-ish colored plate in your last post, is a replacement for the flex plate (#9 in the diagram). Use either the original flex plate or the Kiggly adapter, not both.

The Kiggly adapter, the gold-ish colored plate in your last post, is a replacement for the flex plate (#9 in the diagram). Use either the original flex plate or the Kiggly adapter, not both.

So the original flex plate I don’t have, but with that original flex plate it’s supposed to be bolted up with the 4 bolts that are on the converter right? So would I have to find the original flex plate to make all this work out or just bolt the converter bolts to the gold plate?

Take the bolts out before trying to attach anything.

I'm not up to speed on when you need the Kiggly Flex Plate. I thought it was when you had a 6-bolt engine that you were mating to a 2G trans. If you have a 7-bolt you may need to use the original 2G flex plate.

Oh, I guess I was seeing the flats on the torque converter and thought it was the original flex plate. So if the original flex plate is not there, then you should be able to bolt the gold plate to the torque converter.

There’s different variations of the Kiggly adapter, I’m assuming you have the right one which is the one I linked to in my first reply. As far as I can tell, that’s strictly replacement for a 2g 7-bolt.

Oh, I guess I was seeing the flats on the torque converter and thought it was the original flex plate. So if the original flex plate is not there, then you should be able to bolt the gold plate to the torque converter.

There’s different variations of the Kiggly adapter, I’m assuming you have the right one which is the one I linked to in my first reply. As far as I can tell, that’s strictly replacement for a 2g 7-bolt.

So I’m good then I won’t have to buy anything else? All I have to do right now is to bolt up the converter to what I’m pointing at and I should be good?

Also would that fix the problem of half the transmission being exposed from under? ( I appreciate the fast ass reply’s 🙏🏽😂)

Also would that fix the problem of half the transmission being exposed from under?
For the exposed part of the trans you need this cover.

You’ll be in a better position than where you were!

Again, assuming it is the correct plate, yes.

As you had it in the original post, there was no connection between the ring gear and the engine. So the starter would never actually turn the engine - no crank. Bolting the adapter to the torque converter provides that connection so when the starter engages the ring gear, the engine should turn, too.

As @victorgalant states, the exposed portion is normal without the lower cover. Make sure to get one for your application - automatic transmissions have a different cover than the manual transmissions.

i made the dumbass mistake in leaving my torque converter outside and ofc it had to rain hella hard that day and noticed that it was outside when the rain stopped would you guys know a good converter to run I seen a few on AutoZone but idk might as well Upgrade it since everything is alll out

Last edited by a moderator:
i made the dumbass mistake in leaving my torque converter outside and ofc it had to rain hella hard that day and noticed that it was outside when the rain stopped would you guys know a good converter to run I seen a few on AutoZone but idk might as well Upgrade it since everything is alll out
Check the classified ads

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back