The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Auto transmission install help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stock brackets on the motor the rear chassis is a manual with poly insert the timing belt side is my old manual with a poly insert the trans is stock bracket and mount. The front roll stop is auto bracket with a bsfab front crossmember that I cut off the solid mount and welded my poly mount to it.
im running a bulfab manual crossmember, avid drivers, avid rear, oem auto trans. I was told the manual crossmember work with autos ....is this true?

No it didn't in my situation, the solid mount on the crossmember would have pushed the front up about an inch I think it was. I'm not sure exactly but it was a lot. So I chopped it off to weld on the stock roll stop with a prothane mount to the bar.

No it didn't in my situation, the solid mount on the crossmember would have pushed the front up about an inch I think it was. I'm not sure exactly but it was a lot. So I chopped it off to weld on the stock roll stop with a prothane mount to the bar.
From what ive read there diesnt appear to be any real difference. For instance volk fab makes one crossmember for manual and auto. I just purchased a set of oem atyle auto mounts. Gunna give it a try

I believe the auto mounts drop the engine about 3/4 to a full inch lower, well judging by the new clearance bashing of my frame rail to get the alternator to fit around back. Saturn alt with a Jay racing relocation kit

You need the auto front and rear brackets, and transmission mount. If you want to use the manual mount just mod the bracket to reach it.

Yeah it would of worked if you drill a new mount hole through the bracket on the engine.

I just cut it off the bar bolted all the other mounts in and bolted my old roll stop in and tacked in a piece to hold it. Then pulled it and finished welding. I also used square tubing so it actually makes a great jacking pad

Yeah I also read there wasn't a real difference but there is. I am doing the same thing you are manual to auto. I used everything from my auto parts car and even the same bar it doesn't fit right. But I didn't care all that much I'd rather not have a solid mount

I think im gunna make spacers to mAke it fit......so currently im using avid driver side and avid rear mount. The brackets in the front and rear were swapped for the auto. If I force the trans Bracket on the end of the trans hits the frame rail..... it gets pulled way to close. Can someone send a pic of the passenger side clearance?

I believe the auto mounts drop the engine about 3/4 to a full inch lower, well judging by the new clearance bashing of my frame rail to get the alternator to fit around back. Saturn alt with a Jay racing relocation kit

I ran into this as well, with the factory auto brackets + MT mounts in the F&R... I ended up using a small bottle jack to press against the subframe & the rear motor bracket to aid in clearance'ing the Saturn alt pulley to the subframe rail. I also ditched the OEM Saturn 5 or 6 ribbed alt pulley & used a 4 ribbed 2g Unorthodox pulley on the Saturn alt... this saved a lot of room.

I think im gunna make spacers to mAke it fit......so currently im using avid driver side and avid rear mount. The brackets in the front and rear were swapped for the auto. If I force the trans Bracket on the end of the trans hits the frame rail..... it gets pulled way to close. Can someone send a pic of the passenger side clearance?

It was a total accidental pic, but you can kind of see what's going on... I'm rocking F&R auto brackets, with Prothane MT mounts (they fit, but they're a PITA to line up for the F&R)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ug5dqvl7um35ei6/IMAG0593.jpg?dl=0

Ok guys i made spacers with sime 6061, the engine fits perfectly imo? The engine sits square. I cant see it sitting any better

Attachments

• 07CA9D20-56C8-4241-9466-C40F639C8DE1.jpeg
    07CA9D20-56C8-4241-9466-C40F639C8DE1.jpeg
    411.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 61713747-D1B7-4FC4-B5C9-B6766D29FC51.jpeg
    61713747-D1B7-4FC4-B5C9-B6766D29FC51.jpeg
    482.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 1DA0FA6E-5469-4466-BC82-D14DE6484C5B.jpeg
    1DA0FA6E-5469-4466-BC82-D14DE6484C5B.jpeg
    455.5 KB · Views: 109
That works, but I'm a bit confused about the reason for the issue in the first place maybe i missed it. The transmission mounts are the one bolted to the car and transmission both automatic? I can see this issue if you are using a manual mount with an auto bracket. Either way you're solution will work and I may steel the idea since I've got a perfectly good manual trans mount with a prothane mount.

That works, but I'm a bit confused about the reason for the issue in the first place maybe i missed it. The transmission mounts are the one bolted to the car and transmission both automatic? I can see this issue if you are using a manual mount with an auto bracket. Either way you're solution will work and I may steel the idea since I've got a perfectly good manual trans mount with a prothane mount.
I am using a manual avid driver and rear mount. The transmission, front and rear are auto brackets. The auto rear is longer than the manual bracket i noticed.Im using a bulfab manual crossmember but ive been told they arent very different. The engine sits perfect now so ??? If u like i can make u some spacers like i used.

Thanks for the offer but I'm not sure that they would work in my situation since I cut the bull fab mount off for my poly mount on the front roll stop.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back