The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Alternator relocation kits - Buschur Racing VS Jay Racing VS others

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow, great customer service on Jay's part! I know other vendors won't extend the warranty on second hand parts like that. Glad to see Jay standing by his product instead of weezeling his way out of a warranty claim like some others do.

In either event, this has definitely convinced me to order mine in steel on my next Jay Racing order. :thumb:

Last edited:
I wonder why JR still sells the Aluminium bracket considering there have been so many failures?

Oh wait, so they could charge +$25 for the steel option :) lame...

I wonder why JR still sells the Aluminium bracket considering there have been so many failures?
I was wondering that too. It seems that most issues reported were 2+ years ago and I wonder if any design changes took place since then?

Either way, for what you get in the kit, $175 is still well worth it for one of Jay's kits. Especially for us 2G guys who want to run a Saturn alternator.

Break one of each vendors products and see what response you get. I know we broke one of Jays brackets on a drag car and they took the time to go over the setup figure out what could have caused it and then sent out a free replacement steel one.

The jays bracket on my car has been there for a couple years with no issues. Drag car and street duty.

I have no experience with Dave's.

Last edited:

Makes sense from a cost point of view for the company. By blaming the user for overtightening the belts or having pulley runout, they won't be obligated to replace every aluminum bracket out there. (until it breaks)

It's like blaming meth backfires for an unusual number of failed intake manifolds.

edit: Just wanted to add that JR has been great about taking care of the broken brackets and since the part has been redesigned this won't be an issue for any of the steel ones.

I wasn't coming back here but I went to look at the link posted of Jay Racing's product. Unbelievably cheap for what he has there, I'd suggest all you guys buy that one. The cost of CNC machining aluminum is about half of the cost of machining steel and we do not have the cheapest CNC shop to begin with. I'll run ours, maybe when I do I'll come up with a better way to tension the belt than the bolt we used in the past and make an update.

Jay's Racing's product looks nice.

Side note for the 5th time, NONE of ours have ever broken though.

^^ Got any pics of it being installed? I just want to see how it's all tensioned and held together.

Checking in for breaking two of Jays aluminum brackets which made the alternator dig in to my freshly painted engine bay. They broke in the EXACT same spot. I finally convinced him to send me a free steel one.

Actually, he sold a couple chute mounts :thumb:

Shearer Fabrications bolt on chute mount - CarolinaDSM Forums

I'm trying to find the company now, but there's a small company that started selling bolt in chute mounts within the last month, i'll post the link when I can find it.

To my knowledge the only mount Ron sold was mine, though he did list them for sale on his site for a time. I tried to get him to make one for Chris's car and he said he did not want to and to have someone copy the one he made me. So I did at a local custom fab shop with the ability to fab every part of it so it cut the expense drastically. He offered to make them for anyone who needs them but I could care less about marketing them unless someone needs one, they are substantially cheaper than I paid.

Checking in for breaking two of Jays aluminum brackets which made the alternator dig in to my freshly painted engine bay. They broke in the EXACT same spot. I finally convinced him to send me a free steel one.

Wow, They only replaced mine once and told me that it will be the last one without charges. Both of mine broke at same spot also, since I wasn't getting anymore replacement one I got mine welded back together. If the main bracket was made out of billet aluminum this breaking thing would not have happened to some.

I have 2 jr kits, both shot the water pump belt off at about 7000rpm. I just run 3 belts now and have no prob and I rev to 9500, I would never buy a BR kit to save my life but we wont go there.

Well i am on my 2nd jay racing kit and it just broke. Less then 5000miles and i have gone through 2. I am going to call them and see if there is anything they will do. I do not have high hopes.

I wasn't coming back here but I went to look at the link posted of Jay Racing's product. Unbelievably cheap for what he has there, I'd suggest all you guys buy that one. The cost of CNC machining aluminum is about half of the cost of machining steel and we do not have the cheapest CNC shop to begin with. I'll run ours, maybe when I do I'll come up with a better way to tension the belt than the bolt we used in the past and make an update.

Jay's Racing's product looks nice.

Side note for the 5th time, NONE of ours have ever broken though.

So what you are saying is that you are going to revise your unit because you saw the Jay Racing unit? :rolleyes: Cut it out :rolleyes:

I've been a fan of yours for years and have a lot of respect for you. I've grown up watching you go bigger and faster. From what it sounds like, you didn't push the damn things and someone came out with another product (as similar as it may be). Competition happens ... CNC a dick and balls on the bracket and have something NO ONE has (I'm want the patent since I came up with it). Or find a marketing guy to sit around and take care of foot work for you. Hell, I'm about to graduate with a chemical engineering degree, pay me (and teach me) enough and you will have more than a marketing guy around your shop ... I'll even take the trash out :D

Not to brag but, I know all about required head vs available head, penetration theory and strippers. LOL

I am getting great pleasure out of this thread, seems every few days another story pops up of more failures........yes, ours isn't so pretty but I can keep saying none of them broke!

run the steal one

Steel?

I had my first one break thats over 2 years old, e-mailed Jay and asked him if there was anything he could do for me, he gave me a new steel bracket for $37 shipped.

I considered that a pretty stand up deal considering It had been over 2 years since I purchased it.

I think both companies make some good parts, some people have better luck with part A comprared to Part B and vice versa (as well as variance in user installation and upkeep levels being expected when it comes to parts failures, just as well as knowing that there willbe freak parts failures that you will have to stand behind and honor wether you think it's your fault or the buyers).

I think that Dave, although coming up with the first alt. relocation, you sort of have to expect to get others copying an "idea" which isn't as horrible as copying a patented product down to the point of cloning. The Jay kit is different enough to know that they didn't digitize your part in a machinist software suite and start running off copies, the simply did what is no worse than allowing more than one company to offer a SMIM, It would be almost rediculous to expect just because some one did it first that no one else can take their own version of it and go public with sales as well, that's capitalism and it's what our country rose to it's riches on, really.

Where the cream will rise to the top is in both product sales and reliability (keeping both parties buyer and seller satisfied) I"m not wanting to sound like i'm coming off rude to you as i'm not, and i'm only adressing you as your the only vendor here talking about his own product. You just have to expect when "being an innovator" in parts offering, there's certain things like you will have to come to accept or every instance of it will drive you to hating your loved hobby and business of motorsports racing/modification to the point you become anangry old man that no one likes.

This is one where you should feel flattered and not flustered that some one else thought your idea was good enough to start copying/doing in their OWN version/part. I mean you must admit they are not just a china parts clone company but fellow DSM'ers too, and down to the little tips and tricks mods for our cars there was always some one who did it first. what's really remembererd more is "who did it best" and you should relax in the faith an personal backing of your own product.

can we all get along now please!?????????

I think both companies make some good parts, some people have better luck with part A comprared to Part B and vice versa (as well as variance in user installation and upkeep levels being expected when it comes to parts failures, just as well as knowing that there willbe freak parts failures that you will have to stand behind and honor wether you think it's your fault or the buyers).

I think that Dave, although coming up with the first alt. relocation, you sort of have to expect to get others copying an "idea" which isn't as horrible as copying a patented product down to the point of cloning. The Jay kit is different enough to know that they didn't digitize your part in a machinist software suite and start running off copies, the simply did what is no worse than allowing more than one company to offer a SMIM, It would be almost rediculous to expect just because some one did it first that no one else can take their own version of it and go public with sales as well, that's capitalism and it's what our country rose to it's riches on, really.

Where the cream will rise to the top is in both product sales and reliability (keeping both parties buyer and seller satisfied) I"m not wanting to sound like i'm coming off rude to you as i'm not, and i'm only adressing you as your the only vendor here talking about his own product. You just have to expect when "being an innovator" in parts offering, there's certain things like you will have to come to accept or every instance of it will drive you to hating your loved hobby and business of motorsports racing/modification to the point you become anangry old man that no one likes.

This is one where you should feel flattered and not flustered that some one else thought your idea was good enough to start copying/doing in their OWN version/part. I mean you must admit they are not just a china parts clone company but fellow DSM'ers too, and down to the little tips and tricks mods for our cars there was always some one who did it first. what's really remembererd more is "who did it best" and you should relax in the faith an personal backing of your own product.

can we all get along now please!?????????

I agree 100%, you'd have to know why I am enjoying this all, this thread wasn't started by me...

Okay, so I'm just wondering but what part numbers are you guys using for the 3 belts? Figured I'd add to David's amusement here.

I've slung off so many freakin power steering/water pump belts and it's annoying the crap out of me. I could've went with David's more expensive kit and paid less overall by now. When I 1st got the kit and started having this problem, they told me I might have to bend the bracket some to make sure it's straight. So I did that. It worked for awhile until I had to pull my motor out and car was down for a year. Got it back in and had the problem again. So I e-mailed them back to ask about it (with a copy of all the previous e-mails I had sent), and they replied and said, "It sounds like your power steering pump bracket it bent". Really? I'm like, yeah, cause ya'll told me to bend it. Lol. Sheesh!!!

Anyway, I told them I was keeping it off the internet but they've been zero help and I'm still slinging belts. Have another one I have to put on tomorrow....which I'm sure will come off as well.

If someone knows the belt numbers to use, PLEASE let me know. I'm desperate on this one. Guess if the bracket part ever breaks, I'm calling David for a new kit this time around.

The last time it broke, the sensor hit the sending unit and it broke the housing on my brand new ffwdconnection front facing oil filter housing, so had to buy a new housing, also still have to buy a new oil pressure sending unit and wiring harness for my after market oil pressure gauge. Nope, Jay Racing didn't/isn't helping with that either. This kit is more expensive than I originally thought. Car was down for a year. I think it was only the 2nd day of having it up and running, it was down again and had to order another filter housing.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back