The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Jay Racing alternator relocation kit bracket mounting issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowborder714

Oct 15, 2006
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
I can't say I've ever seen this issue, but wanted to ask if someone has run into it and how they solved it. The back of the Jay Racing relocation bracket has a cut out machined into it because of how it has to mount to the block.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here's what that notch is to go around. The flat section on the block sits above the notch and the bracket sinks a bit into the recess under the flat section.

Here's what my '97 GST block looks like in that area. Notice that the recess isn't there.

I've already checked with Jay and he hasn't heard of this or seen a block like this, so I wanted to check with people here. I've looked at 3 other blocks we have at the house and they've all got that recess and would allow the bracket to mount properly.

I think if I have Jay just machine the whole area off the back of the bracket it will sit properly. This will remove that notch and allow that side of the bracket to sit flat.

Last edited by a moderator:
No issue with that here. I'd just have it machined.

Ya, that's probably the easiest way. Just need to see if Jay can send a test piece before having a final one made to make sure my thoughts are correct in that it'll fit.

Hmm my jay racing kit is totally different. Pm me with your cell # and I'll send you photos of mine. I accually just took it off like 2 months ago when i installed my new motor in my Talon

Could you just post the pictures up on here? It'd benefit more people that way than just me. Plus, I don't like giving out my phone number.

Why not just grind off that section of the block? Maybe it was just a flaw when they cast the block??? But seems easier than sending the piece back and forth and all...now that I'm looking at it again.

I'd love to post a pic to help everyone but my smartphone only let's me post pics that have been uploaded into my profile pics. LOL and i can't get a bran new alternator out of the jay racing kit I have. It's stuck in there good so It's hard to see things.

I understand about giving your number out, hell I won't keep it man. It was just easiest for me to send you pictures over text because I'm so busy with all my college school work, It's hard to find time to load pictures on here.

I was trying not to modify the block as I really don't know what's going on there and if something happens to get messed up, then I'm out a block. I probably wouldn't hurt anything if I did though. Modifying the bracket is easier as someone else would be doing it and it's replaceable if something gets messed up.

As long as you have the steel bracket just grind away at it. That thing is porky and overweight...

As long as you have the steel bracket just grind away at it. That thing is porky and overweight...

That I do. Don't want to risk snapping an aluminum one. My brother's got a machinist at work that I'll probably have take care of removing the excess material.

Is this the stock 7 bolt? I didn't know if casting would be different if you had a 2.4 bottom end, or something.

Non-stock internals, but the core came out of my friend's '97 Eclipse GST (verified the VIN). I wish I had a 2.4!

you'll be happy u didn't risk it with a aluminum bracket i did and after driving the car a few times it snapped in half LOL.... they were very quick on replacing it for me tho upgraded to the steel like i should have done first. your block is different then the 3 i have but like someone else said just grind the bracket down so it will fit.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back