The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Alternator Belt Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragnous

Proven Member
Nov 29, 2014
Clearwater, Florida
Sorry if i missed another topic about this I did search but wanted to go more into detail of what iv done and what is happening.

First thing when I bought the car the belts did not look too bad so i drove using them.. after about a month the Alternator Belt starting to wine and screech till one day it just destroyed itself. Replaced with new one.. at this point i noticed the screw holes on the alternator adjust where stripped and not tighten down.. Fixed that! Now i still have had wining and been trying to find the right tension for some time now..

Yesterday I got stuck and had to be jumped as it would seem alternator wasn't tight enough to charge battery properly. So i got the belt pretty tight but with some flex still. Today the belt went poof again.

Thinking from running with too loose of a belt and maybe too tight just killed it.. Thoughts?

I checked for play in the pully on alternator and pretty solid. Edit: Also checked that the alternator pully spins nice with little effort. Also the Harmonic Balancer seems pretty solid as well no wiggle.

Last edited:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
i have 2 bolts that hold the power steering to the mount.
If i pull back on the right bolt when tension the belt it seems to slightly cock the pump to the right.

Looks like you are missing one bolt that the PS pump pivots on , it goes in behind the pulley like the other one. Usually when the holes in the pulley line up for the bolt that you do have it is lined up with the other hole so check that. :)

Last edited:
Oh Crap Ill have to take a look at that tonight.. ty for pointing that out.

Sure, been there before! Make sure they are tight, mine got loose and started touching the back of the pulley. I put some grey rtv on my threads and haven't had a problem since.

Ok so check i guess was the angle of pic but it was there.

I did just re-tension the PS again but this time I pull back about as good as i could and backed it off a bit and tighten the left side screw first then pulled back on the right side of the pulley to counter the twisting and then tightened the right slide bolt. So far seems to be good and belt not squealing anymore.

Edit: here more pics of mine

Ok now i am lost LOL. I only find 2 spots can any provide picture of each bolt I am apparently missing something

Last edited:
I remember when i did my swap the belt was barely rubbing on something in they bay... dont remember what but it chewed the belt like yours always inspect the are of stupid things like this, I'm sure you are aware of this.. goodluck

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back