The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G After change head gasket huge oil leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sakroda

Proven Member
May 3, 2016
İstanbul, Europe
Hello
MAybe you know my head gasket problem it blown that s why i had to change with a new head gasket and I ordered the head gasket from hyundai dealer for 2.0 sonata you can see the head gasket from pictures.My head was not
available because there is no surface on the head that s why I had to find a new head but I could not it because of country conditions ı guess we have 10 eagle talons in Turkey..anyway I read some articles on dsmtuners some people used 1.6 head on 1g dsm and I found 1.6 elantra head so we replace it and it worked fine until oil leak i saw huge oil leak then I did not go to service guy who did my car like that.I need your help what went wrong on my repair head gasket it comes from timing belt side we have also changed balance shaft seal no luck service guy does not accept his blame I was piss off and i took my car from there and I pick up to my home so when i look at bottom of my car I saw a oil lake:) oil comes like a waterfall please I need your help 1.6 head was a mistake or service guy did a mistake or what should I watch out before replace the 1.6 head I used 2.0 head gasket If you need information I can provide...

Attachments

• Photo 2.06.2020 19 59 09.jpg
    Photo 2.06.2020 19 59 09.jpg
    903.1 KB · Views: 183
  • Photo 2.06.2020 20 01 36.jpg
    Photo 2.06.2020 20 01 36.jpg
    910.4 KB · Views: 179
  • Photo 15.06.2020 11 30 27.jpg
    Photo 15.06.2020 11 30 27.jpg
    795.1 KB · Views: 178
  • Photo 15.06.2020 11 41 59.jpg
    Photo 15.06.2020 11 41 59.jpg
    869.9 KB · Views: 174
  • Photo 15.06.2020 11 42 03.jpg
    Photo 15.06.2020 11 42 03.jpg
    920 KB · Views: 175
  • Photo 15.06.2020 21 21 59.jpg
    Photo 15.06.2020 21 21 59.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 179
  • Photo 15.06.2020 21 25 17.jpg
    Photo 15.06.2020 21 25 17.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 184
  • Photo 15.06.2020 21 25 26.jpg
    Photo 15.06.2020 21 25 26.jpg
    910.9 KB · Views: 171
  • Photo 15.06.2020 21 25 30.jpg
    Photo 15.06.2020 21 25 30.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 179
  • Photo 15.06.2020 21 25 35.jpg
    Photo 15.06.2020 21 25 35.jpg
    738.3 KB · Views: 179
  • show01.jpg
    show01.jpg
    908.5 KB · Views: 198
From the look that is a 2.0 turbo 4g63 correct? I've never heard of that pairing with that head. My educated assumption is they are not compadible with that head or a different gasket is supposed to be used when pairing them. Last but not least the head you had put in is possibly warped. Anyone else have any ideas?

Yes its from 1990 awd eagle talon many people used 1.6 elantra head on 1g dsm pls research it. we shaved the head also

I can't believe i over looked that LOL nice catch.
I focused way too hard on the top and back side pics and missed it. People who do work like that are the people who give mechanics like myself a bad name.
I don't know where you are in repairs during those pics but one of the pics shows no oil seals on the crank or oil pump. Please comment.

^^ in addition to what Paul said, it wouldn't necessarily account for the oil up at the manifold, but have you checked the valve cover and gasket? Could have a cracked cover.

Hopefully the crank and oil pump sprocket seals were installed before this happened, otherwise that's the major portion of the leak.

^^ in addition to what Paul said, it wouldn't necessarily account for the oil up at the manifold, but have you checked the valve cover and gasket? Could have a cracked cover.

Hopefully the crank and oil pump sprocket seals were installed before this happened, otherwise that's the major portion of the leak.
Is that a hole in the lower manifold?

Hello
MAybe you know my head gasket problem it blown that s why i had to change with a new head gasket and I ordered the head gasket from hyundai dealer for 2.0 sonata you can see the head gasket from pictures.My head was not
available because there is no surface on the head that s why I had to find a new head but I could not it because of country conditions ı guess we have 10 eagle talons in Turkey..anyway I read some articles on dsmtuners some people used 1.6 head on 1g dsm and I found 1.6 elantra head so we replace it and it worked fine until oil leak i saw huge oil leak then I did not go to service guy who did my car like that.I need your help what went wrong on my repair head gasket it comes from timing belt side we have also changed balance shaft seal no luck service guy does not accept his blame I was piss off and i took my car from there and I pick up to my home so when i look at bottom of my car I saw a oil lake:) oil comes like a waterfall please I need your help 1.6 head was a mistake or service guy did a mistake or what should I watch out before replace the 1.6 head I used 2.0 head gasket If you need information I can provide...
I think that chunk missing on the lower manifold is the culprit.

Attachments

• Capture+_2020-06-17-20-07-12.png
    Capture+_2020-06-17-20-07-12.png
    645.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Capture+_2020-06-17-20-07-12.png
    Capture+_2020-06-17-20-07-12.png
    645.8 KB · Views: 157
Last edited by a moderator:
That's between the ports, and I don't see any fresh oil, so it doesn't strike me as a the culprit. It does however merit closer inspection and investigation.

Seriously double check the valve cover gasket.

Did you use stock head bolts or arp studs? It's possible one of the fasteners broke and released clamp load on the corner of the head gasket, allowing it to leak.

My wild guess is that the rear balance shaft check bolt is missing and oil is coming out of the hole and dripping onto the front axle which is then slinging it onto the back of the block and intake.

There’s lots of things I see that aren’t great but you first need to start by using brake clean to clean the area so you can pinpoint exactly where the oil is coming from. Second, stop using rtv on everything. The oil pump is just a gasket. Clean the surfaces correctly and use the correct torque.

Why
Hello
What is that red mark at the head gasket? Was rtv used on the head gasket?

I don't know where you are in repairs during those pics but one of the pics shows no oil seals on the crank or oil pump. Please comment.
I am so sorry normally I got noticed via email when you wrote something but this time i did not get any message that s why I couldn t back to you
so we changed it i just wanted to show before replaced seals.

That's between the ports, and I don't see any fresh oil, so it doesn't strike me as a the culprit. It does however merit closer inspection and investigation.
Seriously double check the valve cover gasket.
Did you use stock head bolts or arp studs? It's possible one of the fasteners broke and released clamp load on the corner of the head gasket, allowing it to leak.
I told to service guy I want you to change head bolts but he said no necessary by the way I can not find these bolts in my country so what do you recomment about this issue If i buy same same size so Can i use these bolts?

My wild guess is that the rear balance shaft check bolt is missing and oil is coming out of the hole and dripping onto the front axle which is then slinging it onto the back of the block and intake.
Balance shaft is disabled there is a just bolt

There’s lots of things I see that aren’t great but you first need to start by using brake clean to clean the area so you can pinpoint exactly where the oil is coming from. Second, stop using rtv on everything. The oil pump is just a gasket. Clean the surfaces correctly and use the correct torque.
I bought 5 break cleaners but it happens this results after drive 5 km's ....We saw the oil via a mirror after boost I drawed it with red line in photo..I did not use RTV service guy did it and i hate them I told them about use 90-100 NM..

Why

What is that red mark at the head gasket? Was rtv used on the head gasket?
they they used a lot

I am assuming that they used red gasket maker around the oil return area on the head gasket for some reason.

maybe you a re right it cost me much money i can buy a used car for fixing price in my country:)
we will open up head with another service guy I heard he is good on 4g63 and we will see what s going on
thank you for reply and sorry for late answer

Attachments

• seal.jpg
    seal.jpg
    800.5 KB · Views: 121
  • leak01.jpg
    leak01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
If it happens that fast clean it off again and see if you can spot it at fresh statup at idle. Finding where is half your battle. You are still speculating

If it happens that fast clean it off again and see if you can spot it at fresh statup at idle. Finding where is half your battle. You are still speculating
pls don t say speculating you really don t know what i am struggling with it i care your ideas i spent many times on this car i spent much money approx 8000 dollars i get parts from usa and i pay huge customs and postage costs i just want my talon to look better and drive it flawless but in my country they don t understand my car if even new service guy can not fix my car i will repair it

pls don t say speculating you really don t know what i am struggling with it i care your ideas i spent many times on this car i spent much money approx 8000 dollars i get parts from usa and i pay huge customs and postage costs i just want my talon to look better and drive it flawless but in my country they don t understand my car if even new service guy can not fix my car i will repair it
My point was we still don't know for sure. I appears you started to do what I suggested but you're completely oily in 5 km. So i suggest doing it again at idle to see if you can pinpoint the actual leak and not just where it's dripping. If you dont want my help thats fine I won't offer anything further.

My point was we still don't know for sure. I appears you started to do what I suggested but you're completely oily in 5 km. So i suggest doing it again at idle to see if you can pinpoint the actual leak and not just where it's dripping. If you dont want my help thats fine I won't offer anything further.
Pls don t say like that offcourse i need your help I don t want to check by myself anymore I will give it to service guy if he can t do my talon i will do by myself I don t have tools for repair that s why I don t want to that by myself but when you do full throttle it leaks more when it s in idle it does not much leak from engine..

It doesn't matter if you have balance shafts or not, if that bolt is missing it will leak oil like crazy, I had one missing and it made a mess just like you have.

balance_shaft_plug_zps4f514e6a-jpg.492432

This is the bolt that you need to check, the one circled, if its missing you will have a mess on your hands.

I've never understood why the balanced shafts get deleted. Is the horse power gain that great? I've seen engines without them and they vibrate alot which cant be good for a lot of the components on and off the engine.

I've never understood why the balanced shafts get deleted. Is the horse power gain that great? I've seen engines without them and they vibrate alot which cant be good for a lot of the components on and off the engine.
Actually i did not do that previous owner made it actually i don t like vibration on my car also...i hope i can go to service tomorrow i wait his call then i will go

To remove the possibility of a balance shaft belt breaking, getting wound up in the main belt and trashing an engine, or the balance shaft bearings failing and again trashing the engine, the balance shafts spin at double the crankshaft rpm.

Can you buy "oil dye" in your country?
If so, add a tiny amount to the oil and use a UV (Black/ultra-violet) light and it will show up as a bright yellow/green color. Only run the car for about 1 minute or less and then look with a UV light in the suspect area's.

Hello
We decied to remove head with my brother and we understood that our knowledge is better than service guys:) I could not believe what they done to me my car Dowel pins are replaced incorrect and we found oil leaks we used 5 break cleaners and we cleaned eveywhere :) it comes from head gasket i uploaded video and pictures if you want to say something it would be better and we unplugged head bolts and we saw incorrect washers about thickness..I sent my head for resurface process i will let you know by the way my bore size 86 mm i told you before I have nissan 300zx pistons previous owner was crazy that s why it explains why my compression is 135 around:)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• 86mm.jpg
    86mm.jpg
    893.2 KB · Views: 83
  • acabd261-18be-45ba-9ef1-d824c17c1362.jpg
    acabd261-18be-45ba-9ef1-d824c17c1362.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 69
  • dowel.jpg
    dowel.jpg
    827.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3757.jpg
    IMG_3757.jpg
    981.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3763.jpg
    IMG_3763.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3782.jpg
    IMG_3782.jpg
    869.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3805.jpg
    IMG_3805.jpg
    956.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3807.jpg
    IMG_3807.jpg
    890 KB · Views: 76
thanks for helping i made my by myself i guess it s about torque problem and i bought torque wrench i did 95 NM on my head bolts there is no oil or water :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back