The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

acl bearing clearances

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You want to be on the high side of the book spec.

Side note on the race bearings though. They are designed to be used with aftermarket cranks that have a larger radius on the journals. If you use the race bearings on a stock crank you are losing surface area. The tensile strength on the standard ACL and the ACL Race bearings is identical.

Side note on the race bearings though. They are designed to be used with aftermarket cranks that have a larger radius on the journals. If you use the race bearings on a stock crank you are losing surface area. The tensile strength on the standard ACL and the ACL Race bearings is identical.

No foolin'? Huh. That's good to know. Thanks.

What exactly would be the risk to run race bearings on a stock crank?

I'd like to know this as well as this is the first time it's popped up. All others out there that have used these bearings I'm assuming are on stock cranks as well minus the stroker guys.

I'm just trying to find out if the Aluglide or the Race bearing will be better for a DD with 500whp. I already know that bearings should not contact the crank or rods.

how so? from the specs posted on the ACL website/catalog the bearings are the same length for the stock replacemnts or the race.

the race bearings are .0005 thinner so to give and extra .001 oil clearance on a std. crank.

ACL catalog
http://www.aclus.com/content/ACL07(1).pdf

stock replacements.. page 376 line 9
Race bearings ... Page 383 and 384 line 2

jackson-

so if what your saying is true i shouldn't run oem bearings on a aftermarket crank?

i used regular acl main bearings because they were backedordered and used acl race rod bearings on mine with the stock crank...is that bad? ### i called acl tech support and they didnt tell me nothing about the larger radius and i also told them that i was using std size, stock crank

so if what your saying is true i shouldn't run oem bearings on a aftermarket crank?

no... what I am saying is that you should be fine running OEM bearings on a aftermarket crank....

i talked to rre about this question and they said they have always used the acl race bearings and never had a problem using them on oem cranks...i really hope so cause im using them, lets hope they hold up :pray:

I hope like hell they arent an issue with std size OEM crank.. I just ordered a set of race bearings for the gf's 2g last night.....

The bearing itself isn't any wider. The difference is in the chamfer. Most aftermarket cranks have a larger radius on their journals which promotes strength. If you were to use a standard bearing with them, the lack of adequate chamfer would interfere and cause binding. The race bearings fix this. You *can* use them on an OEM crank but you're losing bearing surface area. It's not huge, but every bit helps.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back