The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

99 GST Bad Crankshaft Position Sensor, or did she Crankwalk?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakley792

Probationary Member
Dec 8, 2012
Wichita, Kansas
Hello!

I recently bought a 99 GST two months ago with 145,000 miles. Long story short the other night me and a buddy made a trip to get some food, on the way there I was having loppy idle. Sounded like a big cam in the car, very rough when we hit the 2500-3500rpm. We ended up limping it home to his house, left it there. We were thinking a boost leak and would inspect the next morning as it was dark and raining. The next morning we got in the car, started fined. We let her warm up and went for a drive. All was fine, we were going down a residental area, I pushed in the clutch, put in 2nd and made a left dirt down a dirt road. The whole car shutoff and we could not get it started, luckly his house was only a block away so we pushed it home. Check engine light was on, the code was Crankshaft Position Sensor.

So my question is, do I just replace the sensor. I already saw it is going to be a $$#% to get the timing cover off. Or did the car offically crank walk and should I just pull the engine. I can't afford a new 6 bolt engine but if it did crank walk and there is no fix I guess I have no choice.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 774899_374849435944450_890948568_o.jpg
    774899_374849435944450_890948568_o.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 875
You do not have to pull the oil pan to check crank end play.

Any time you are down around the balancer you can quick check it.

shove the balancer towards the trans side of the engine, then pull it towards you, you should feel very little movement. Spec is .0098, I just call it .010

If there is a question in your mind after the "quick check" then get out the magnetic base and dial indicator and measure it properly.

BTW, if the end play is .030 or better, you will here a "clunk" when you pull on the balancer.

My car had this pop up for a code. I got a used crank sensor put it on and fired it up.

I say get a new sensor if its damaged like mine was get anew or used on and put it on call it a day. But if it jumped teeth on cam gears you could of hit valves.

How many miles do you have?

110k. stock engine from the factory.

My car had this pop up for a code. I got a used crank sensor put it on and fired it up.

I say get a new sensor if its damaged like mine was get anew or used on and put it on call it a day. But if it jumped teeth on cam gears you could of hit valves.

My car too has the code, and am in the process of replacing the sensor.

I don't believe it jumped timing. The Gates Racing belt is tight and brand new, and shop installed.

But I'll do the pull test tonight when I get home to see if I need to pick up a Dial Indicator from Harbor Freight.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back