The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS crankshaft position sensor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YBb4ndz

Probationary Member
Oct 12, 2021
Hayward, California
where can I get oem? Crankshaft I’ve looked everywhere …and keep getting a new version of it ??

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You can't get 2ga cps anywhere anymore, you need to upgrade it to 2gb sensor and solder in a new pig tail for it, you can get them from your local AutoZone fairly cheap, and definitely solder it or if you don't know how, ask someone who does cuz you don't want bullshit that connection

Got it ok. So I ended up running down to autozone got me new crank shaft wit connector …I replaced it . My car spins over cranks but it still doesn’t start I got spark and fuel….before all that my car wasn’t giving out spark & my old one had melted inside I had to drill it out .. Not sure at this point maybe camshaft sensor ?

yellow is power ?
Black is ground
Blue /white is signal?

same thing for camshaft sensor, can't get 2ga so you have to upgrade it with pig tail to 2gb, you seem to trace same problems as I did, fixed after I changed both sensors and the coil pack + wires

Got it ok. So I ended up running down to autozone got me new crank shaft wit connector …I replaced it . My car spins over cranks but it still doesn’t start I got spark and fuel….before all that my car wasn’t giving out spark & my old one had melted inside I had to drill it out .. Not sure at this point maybe camshaft sensor ?
If you have the 420a engine like the title says in your post the car will still start with a bad camshaft sensor but it will crank for longer before starting so the cam sensor would not be something to look at for a no start.

Replaced camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor I have spark now and fuel so at this point i don’t know what it could be ..?

Just seen on YouTube could it be the sensor between the crank pulley and water pump pulley ?

Just seen on YouTube could it be the sensor between the crank pulley and water pump pulley ?
There is no sensor between them, there's coolant temp, power steering sensor and behind the engine there's a knock sensor and crank position sensor

Maybe check timing marks and compression, also your crank sounds like you have a dead battery, definitely try out again with full battery and maybe even a jump box or cables

Also how old gas you have and how much?
Could also be a bad fuel filter and not getting enough fuel pressure, though it would at least ry to start

how do I check the timing marks ..? & yea I just charged my battery it’s just getting drained from all the times I’ve been trying to start it & I had just put gas on it to see if it was the gas and still nothing I haven’t checked the fuel filter where is located ? Haven’t done compression either ..

Easiest is probably to check your compression, you can lend the tool from AutoZone, O'Reilly's etc. If you don't have it.

Timing is a bit trickier on this engine but check the compression first, there's plenty of topics in the forum for timing marks

Fuel filter is located on the fire wall, black with fuel hoses on top and bottom

Just something I noticed. The splice you have on the Crank position sensor has white going to black and blue going to black. It may be correct since i don't have the wiring instructions I can't say for sure but I would verify that those are correct. With wiring generally white and blue go together but I could be completely wrong. If you wired it based off instructions that come with the sensor and thats how it says then disregard this.

Just something I noticed. The splice you have on the Crank position sensor has white going to black and blue going to black. It may be correct since i don't have the wiring instructions I can't say for sure but I would verify that those are correct. With wiring generally white and blue go together but I could be completely wrong. If you wired it based off instructions that come with the sensor and thats how it says then disregard this.
Good point, I can check mine for them and send a confirmation of it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back