The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 98 eclipse Odd electrical issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sen

Probationary Member
Jun 24, 2019
Wausau, Wisconsin
So to lead its a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse non turbo (GS i believe) i bought the car knowing it would be a project and it had nothing in terms of owners manual or anything. All i have to work with is a Haynes manual.
I also would like to lead with I feel fairly comfortable with electrical systems so I'm scratching my head/looking for some help.

First thing i noticed is the dome lights only work when the passenger door is open. Didn't think too much of it, figured switch in the driver door is shot. Not a huge priority.
On the ride home my phone died, went to plug it in and the cigarette lighter does not work at all. won't even heat the coil. I did some basic tests and from what i can tell there is continuity between the cigarette lighter and its corresponding fuse on the interior box. Now my clutch master cylinder was bad and the pedal was getting coated so i assume it soaked some connections and shorted them or i just need to rewire them.
More confusion is when i turned on my dash lights recently i noticed some lights dont come on, and the instrument cluster has some lighting issues.

Also my tail lights light up oddly. All bulbs good but some dont light up. Got some break lights on both sides. Same with running lights.

Anyone able to hook me up with a decent wiring diagram or places to poke around? I want my damn phone charger back.. any help is appreciated.
Also if anyone could help a brother out with an owners manual just for kicks, id love you forever.

So i tested both of the fused in the yellow bracket. Both okay, look brand new.
I thought fuse at first too but why would some inferior electrical work and some not if it was a fuse?

Pictures of my bay fuse box if it helps.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So first thing I would say is to make sure to check for VOLTAGE on both sides of the fuses.. not just continuity. I have worked in the 12V systems area for a while and when using a meter I have seen numerous times where it will check for continuity but does not allow voltage. Are you getting power to the radio? If you are using the Hanes manual look in the back sections for the wiring diagrams and start there. I just thumbed through it and found that one section 12-30 has the fuse for the lighter as well. Just a starting place.

Radio works just fine. Didn't check for voltage yet but assumed that radio fuse would had to have been getting voltage if the head unit works.
I checked continuity between the lighter and the interior fuse. As well as voltage for the interior fuse. If i remember right continuity was okay. Voltage to the fuse didn't show with ignition.

But like i said before or thought i said anyway, passenger door opens. Lights come on.

Checked the interior fuse box (driverside floor) all checks out okay which is why im scratching my head at this LOL

I am going to try to get a video of what im talking about and what i all test at some point because i feel like im not really being clear and talking about a few separate electrical issues.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back