The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Odd electrical problems, now completely dead, help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supravw

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 26, 2004
Spring, Texas
I just picked up a 92 laser with 98k miles on it. It hasn't been driven often in the past year but the previous owner just did a bunch of maintenance and it runs and drives good. This is my 5 or 6 1g so I'm not new to them at all.

When I drove it home I noticed the wipers didn't work on intermediate but would work on low and high but would stop in the middle of the windshield if I turned them off mid wipe. The cruise control would turn on and set but turn itself off after 5-10 seconds. None of the front speakers work, only the rear, I put a new cd player in thinking the old one we the problem but that didn't change anything.

Fast forward about 2 weeks go by with no issues, I get home and shut the car off. About a minute later I go to move it and it clicks like a dead battery or starter. I check the wires and battery and try again. Click and then nothing. All power is gone, no floor lights, no seatbelts, nothing. I have checked all the fuses, relays and swapped mpi relays. I checked the terminals and grounds on the battery and intake manifold, nothing wrong there. I'm not sure where to go from here other then to tear the dash out and check all the wires. Electrical stuff is not my strong suit but I can read wiring diagrams and understand the basics.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm sort of at a loss seeing as I have no power at all to the chassis but the battery is fully charged. Any help would be great, thanks!

I just sent some more time messing with it. I found an exposed wire that might have been touching the body but I'm not sure. I've got it to get power again but it just clicks when I try to start it. MPI relay is good, swapped with a known good one. So I decided to pull the ecu and see how it looks. Initially it doesn't look half bad. Then I unscrew it and look at the back side. :ohdamn:

It was previously repaired and has a wire running from one point to another and a nice black burn spot... Time to swap in a different ecu and see what that does.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Not an ecu problem, I swapped in another good ecu and still clicks. One click from the mpi relay and that's all it will do.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back