The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

97 GSX dsmlink auto: basics and psi levels-HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 18, 2010
Boston, Massachusetts
So I have searched and need your help:

I have an appointment tomorrow to get my 97 Eclipse GSX tuned.

Two questions:

1) what boost levels are appropriate for my car's set-up? ( See mods below)

2) any major notes adjustments I need to make?

I ordered the dsmlink V3 lite and EPROM waiting for me.

The Car: 97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (automatic)

Mods:
EvoIII 16g Td05 turbo upgrade
Injen intake
Apex downpipe
Xspower exhaust
Large FMIC
mishimoto fans
Hks turbo timer
Safc II
Ngk plugs and wires
stock seven bolt 4G63
stock fuel system with new fuel filter

So anything wacky I need to know ( like switching plug order) that is imperative to know?

And what psi levelsare appropriate forthis setup? Can the dsmlink adjust the boost levels?

Input needed and appreciated, thanks!

When you get your ECMLINK ECU installed its going to be a '95 EPROM so swapping the plug wires is necessary.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Your car has ZERO fuel mods so at the least I highly suggest you re-wire your fuel pump by getting a STM re-wire kit or building your own. If you don't do the re-wire then 12psi is the most I'd run on that setup, with the rewire maybe 14psi if you can get away with it. The shop thats tuning it will know if your fuel setup can't keep up with the boost by looking at your IDC's (injector duty cycle) and your AFR's (air/fuel ratio) off their dyno wideband o2.

:dsm:

Last edited:
Corey got it on the button. I wouldn't go more then 12 psi since you have no fuel mods. Also I see you have SAFC II. You can now get rid of that because Ecmlink has more then enough tuning options and surpasses the safc system. I'd recommend upgrading your fuel system to a larger fuel pump and injectors. I'm currently running a similar setup but with all my fuel mods done as well. I've yet to turn up the boost but will shortly. Hope this helps, mine Is also an Auto so if you have further questions later on feel free to Pm me. Hope all goes well.

• Whos tuning your car, a reputable DSM shop or just a joe-schmoe with a dyno in their garage?
  • Are you having them tune it on the SAFC and then re-tuning it once you get ECMLink installed?

• Whos tuning your car, a reputable DSM shop or just a joe-schmoe with a dyno in their garage?
  • Are you having them tune it on the SAFC and then re-tuning it once you get ECMLink installed?

it is getting tuned at A good shop with dyno who tunes mostly rally: STIs and EVOs . I am having them tune with the dsmlink.

Corey got it on the button. I wouldn't go more then 12 psi since you have no fuel mods. Hope this helps, mine Is also an Auto so if you have further questions later on feel free to Pm me. Hope all goes well.

Thanks, I will pm ya. It sounds like it is worth tuning now and re tuning with some fuel system upgrades. What fuel system upgrades did you do? Which ones would you safely recommend for my setup?

Also, anything else I should be aware of for my tuning tomorrow?

Well I just got back and so far the car is holding up!

The Eclipse GSX was dyno tuned at Dent Sport Garage in Norwood, Mass.

The DSG staff are great, and did a good job checking the setting, ecu and EPROM install, then checking the air fuel ratio levels.

The dyno (which is notorously a stingy dyno) tine and tuning was well spent.

The car is making 220 whp ( car has awd drivetrain loss) and the car is calculated to be making ~330 hp flywheel.

What really impressed is that max boost arrives at 3600 rpm, and the boost holds strong on the dyno graph at psi from 3600through 6800 rpm. With the boost holding perfectly horizontal, and holding full boost through shifts (auto) and the car pulls HARD on the road.

All on stock fuel system and a conservitive tune. I am happy with the setup and the car pulling hard had me and my buddy all smiles on the drive home.

Video to come later.

So the car seem to have sone stutering or slight hesitation when holding speeds between 40-50 mph.

Is this to be expected with having the car tuned and running more psi?

What psi levels are you guys running on your 4g63 Eclipses?

what power gains did you recieve from your tune?

if link calculated that, his gearing must have been incorrect. It needs to be changed from the 5 spd setup they all come with.

The car made 220awhp on the dyno..And link calculated 330..

Wheres the dyno link?

He has not updated his profile yet, I just checked..
Where does link say 330? It may be near that (crank is probably over 300,) but with the automatic and AWD drivetrain loss, 220whp seems like it is on par, correct?

if link calculated that, his gearing must have been incorrect. It needs to be changed from the 5 spd setup they all come with.
I ordered it from DSMLINK directly for an automatic GSX. How does one go about changing it from the '5 spd setup' to an automatic?

What power gains? How much did dyno/tuning cost you?
The same day an EVO 8 with aftermarket intake and upper intercooler piping made 222 who, and and a Mazdaspeed 3 (mostly stock) made 208 whp on the same dyno. So the numbers seem good overall:rocks: How much whp do similar auto GSX's make? Supposed to make? :aha:

Tuning rates vary from shop to shop, dyno to dyno, and tuner to tuner. Check witha tuner in your area for rates as they vary.

I posted up the dyno video on my profile page for those who want to check it out. I since then got the tune slightly adjusted last week to remove some slight knock at wot. No numbers, just tuner driving with his laptop.

I just randomly checked my profile and saw that this thread got bumped from about three months ago!
Thanks for the feedback guys!:cool:

right click the HP and put in your correct gear ratios.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back