The Central Hub for DSM Community and Information

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. This is where the DSM platform history is documented and archived. Log in to help us in our mission, and to remove most ads from the browsing experience.

Resolved 97 4G63 INTO A 95 ECLIPSE GST

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidpredmore

Probationary Member
7
0
Jun 9, 2026
cocoa, Florida
I swapped a 97 4g63 into a 95 Eclipse GST. I know the cams are different so I did remove the rear one off the head and installed the plastic plug, then I removed the intake cam gear and installed the cam sensor from the old 95 4g63 but when I went to put the cam gear on from the old 95 4g63 onto the 97 i notice the timing mark is completely on the other side of the gear. When I removed the old one I didn't move the cam at all.

Do I have to turn this cam all the way around to get to the timing mark on the 95 gear or leave it cause it was in time before I took the 97 gear off? I did notice when i put them together that the timing marks were off by 360 from each gear.
 
So I put the 97 in time before I removed the gear then I installed the 95 cam sensor and when I went to install the 95 intake gear on the cam it would only fit if I turned the gear 180 to fit the pin. So now that mark is facing the other way. I took it off and matched it with the 97 and there the same except the marks are 180 out from each other.

I put the 95 on the 97 to show how it looks but the engine is in time with the gear i took off of it

You must be logged in to view this image or video.


You must be logged in to view this image or video.


You can see the pin one one is up when in time and the pin on the other is down, the pin that holds the gear.
 

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
You have it wrong. The pin on the gear goes up. Both of them are wrong. Do not turn them if your crank is at TDC. Move the crank away from TDC a little bit so none of the 4 pistons could contact valves while you're turning the cams.
 
Last edited:
You have it wrong. The pin on the gear goes up. Both of them are wrong. Do not turn them if your crank is at TDC. Move the crank away from TDC a little bit so none of the 4 pistons could contact valves while you're turning the cams.
Here is what is confusing me. I bought the engine in the 97 GST and drove it around the guys shop and into my car trailer then out and into my garage and this is how it was timed when I took the engine out of the car and it ran good too.
 
I'm not understanding what you're saying. The crank can line up dowels up and dowels down on cams because cams turn half speed of crank.

For proper setting of all 5 marks you typically run dowels up on cams and set the other marks on point. Only other gotcha is the rear balance shaft phasing.

How the motor sat when removed isn't relevant. If it was properly timed you should've been able to turn the crank and within 6 revolutions all marks would line up with crank on #1 TDC and cams on mark with dowels up. That's is a certainty every 6 revolutions.
 
Last edited:
Found out the timing gear had two marks on it.
You're still setup wrong. The cams need to be dowels up. Your first pic where you're trying to figure it out is dowels down. The 2nd pic where you state this is how it was, is dowels up.
 
You're still setup wrong. The cams need to be dowels up. Your first pic where you're trying to figure it out is dowels down. The 2nd pic where you state this is how it was, is dowels up.
The dowels are up now once turned the engine one turn. It was 1am when working on this and I was tired and over thinking, once I got back home and checked everything out I saw the pulleys had two marks on them and I just had to turn the motor one turn and it all lines up including the both dowels facing up, thank you for all the info.

This is the first 46g3 I've built, I have built a 99 Eclipse 420a and a few Nissan 300zx's but my wife bought two Eclipse GST's to build one out of them so this is all new to me.

I stripped the engine bay and painted it and now got it mostly back together, now then on to the body work and paint.
Thank you again I am glad I joined this site

You must be logged in to view this image or video.


You must be logged in to view this image or video.
 

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited by a moderator:
The dowls are up now once i turned the engine one turn, it was 1am when working on this and i was tirerd and over thinking, once i got back home and checked everything out i seen the pullys had two marks on them and i just had to turn the motor one turn and it all lines up including the both dowls facing up, thank you for all the info, this is the first 46g3 i built, i have built a 99 Eclipse 420a and a few nissan 300zx's but my wife bought two Eclipse GST's to build one out of them so this is all new to me. i stripped the engine bay and painted it now got it mostly back together and then on to the body work and paint... Thank you again i am glad i joined this site

You must be logged in to view this image or video.


You must be logged in to view this image or video.
My previous statement still stands
4 out if the 5 marks are no problem. The oil pump IS a problem. If you did not understand what I said about in phase please ask. The mark can be on but the shaft is not and the motor will vibrate.
 
Last edited:
My previous statement still stands
4 out if the 5 marks are no problem. The oil pump IS a problem. If you did not understand what I said about in phase please ask. The mark can be on but the shaft is not and the motor will vi

I have it in time and runs great, now i just have to figure out the aftermarket alarm system somone installed at one time because i can only start it by by passing the ignition switch..
 
Add Value - Be Respectful - No Trolling - No Misinformation - Participate Often!
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community

Latest Classifieds

  • For sale 2g 2g AWD auto trans case
    2g AWD auto trans case. No broken bolts or stripped threads. Bead blasted case will look new...
    • Galant665
    • Updated:
  • For sale 2g 2g GST auto trans case
    2g auto trans case. With bearing plate and end case covers. Good condition. Trans was like...
    • Galant665
    • Updated:
  • Wanted 2g 2g radiator support
    Im looking for a radiator support if anyone has one
    • Fundsm
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 4G63 3 inch Magnaflow SS high flow cat. CA approved.
    3 inch Magnaflow stainless cat. High flow. 18.25 inches. Flange holes are 4 1/8 center. Has...
    • Galant665
    • Updated:
  • For sale 4G63 Race parts.
    Brand new seal in box Kigglys HLA 175$Kigglys 12 tooth billet crankshaft triggel setup 250$...
    • GST2012GSX
    • Updated:
    • Expires
Back
Top