The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 96 gst still wont start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racingmason

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 11, 2011
Colorado Spring, Colorado
i still can't get this car to start. Heres a lil background on the car. I bought it a month ago with a blown tranny, went to look at it, car started right up in -10 degree weather. Took the car home tried to start it nothing, just cranked and sputtered. Replace trans, and charged battery and i get the same thing. It will crank and crank, it sputters tries to start, but wont. i have seen the tach jump to 600 rpm when it tries to start and then back to zero.

I bench tested the fuel pump, and it works fine, i even replaced it with a walbro 255lph out of my mustang. I have good compression, and fuel pressure is good. The pump works fine, i popped the fuel line off the rail and had my friend crank it to see it the line was clogged, and i got fuel to the rail. I have spark, the plugs are good too, when i pulled them they are wet with fuel, but the cyclinders are not flooded.

All 3 timing marks line up, the maf is cleaned and plugged in. I check to make sure the map, tps, crank, sensors are all plugged in. No inhooked vaccum lines either. I am at a complete loss as to why it wont start.

i traced that broken wire all the way up the harness, and it has NO insulation around it at all, its a silver colored wire, all exposed, but it doesnt go the the ect or the 02? is there a ground in that harness at all? it is grounded to something as if you ad power to it it sparks, and yes i did that with the ecu out of the car.

When my CTS wasn't hooked up, I couldn't start in the cold or anything below 50 really. This appears to be opposite. I'd try another MAF if you can get at one, and the check the crank sensor.

Sorry about the bad grammar! Today i ruled out the CPS, with the ignition on, and turning the cams by hand with a socket, i get spark on all 4 cycliners, at TDC and the injectors pulse. But it still wont start. It actually kicked back on my hand when i was turning the cams by hand. Im at whits end with this thing. And the timing is correct as well.

i had the same problem too..... i change my spark plugs , the wires, new coil pack, and some other things.. and it still wouldn't start... so i check the fuel pump and that was the problem .. fuel was leaking out of the fuel pump.. so that why it wouldn't start. Check your fuel pump to see if that the problem.

i had the same problem too..... i change my spark plugs , the wires, new coil pack, and some other things.. and it still wouldn't start... so i check the fuel pump and that was the problem .. fuel was leaking out of the fuel pump.. so that why it wouldn't start. Check your fuel pump to see if that the problem.

Forgot about that also! Good one to check. Yeah it is possiblele for the pump to fall out of the assymbly.

Do you guys read? Although it wouldn't hurt to triple check, He said said he replaced the pump with his wally 255. Which of course now needs a good regulator. Got spark, fuel, compression, so all that's left is timing?

he said he checked the timing. He can still get fuel if the is leaking feul in the tank. It also can be part of the reason hes getting a no start. Just trying to give the man some ideas to solve his issues.

Do you read? Like I said he checked the timing to. If timing was off like that the car would have never started in the first place.

Im going to ohm the ect again. It has to be something electrical. I also thought the cps was 180 degrees off, but i proved that wrong when the injectors pulsed and the spark fired near TDC. I KNOW the pump is fine. I have the 3 fundenmentals to make it start, fuel spark and compression.

I am a mechanic at a shop that specializes in Mistu toyaota and isuzu. Check your IAC. Had one towed in here last week with this issue. everything was good. Replaced the IAC and cleaned the hell out of the throttle body and she was good to go. Make sure when you clean the throttle body dont spray the cleaner directly into the throttle body use a rag and wipe. Hope this helps.

I do have to make a correction I posted earlier, there is a sigle wire that does go to the gauge sending unit that does go with the ect loom and the 0s loom, but that wire will not cause a no start as its only for the gauge. Jusst wanted to clear that up.

OP, can you post pics of the wire you found that is messed up you mentioned and the location?

Just ohmed the ect got around 2400 ohms outside. Heated it up with water and the ohms dropped. I also have 4.6v to the ect. All the plug wires ohm out to 500 ohms or less. I noticed with the igntion on and connecting the battery i hear the iac motor move. I guess thats what i will check next.

I have checked and rechecked the timing, it is dead on. I have fuel, and i have spark on all four cyclinders, its a good hot spark too. The ECT and plug wires all ohm out in spec. I did a compression test, the numbers are all above 105. Two cyclinders are around 106 and the other two are around 130, remember i am at 6100 feet so they are going to naturally be lower then you guys at sea level.

You and I are in the same boat. I've been running a 255 and thinking my problem is a fpr. I just got a new one so ill keep you posted too.

Got it running! Changed the plugs. The looked new, and had a .32 gap, but must have been fouled. Put in new NGKS, and VROOM!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back