The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G 2g gst wont start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racingmason

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 11, 2011
Colorado Spring, Colorado
I have spark and fuel pressure, and verified the pump is working. The car cranks over and will only sputter if i pump the gas pedal to the floor and back while cranking it.

You have fuel pressure, are your injectors firing? If not, check compression.

the plus are wet. the car ran when i bought it, and when i picked it up it wouldnt start, now after i replaced it the car still wont start.

the plus are wet. the car ran when i bought it, and when i picked it up it wouldnt start, now after i replaced it the car still wont start.

Are you talking about the spark plugs?

A friend had the same problem. Try pushing starting after you clean the plugs and make sure the chamber isn't to wet. What happen was when we went to the track his car(turbo gsr) suddenly died. We open the plugs and the combustion chamber was flooded with fuel after we changed the distributor and wires because his car wouldn't start. We changed the plugs and dried out the chamber.

Is the MAF plugged in? Check compression, get that ruled out ASAP.

yep its plugged in. I can't find my compression tester. My first instinct was the fuel pump but, i pulled the cover, hot wired it and it kicked on, i also hooked up a new walbro 255 for a probe gt to the harness and it runs when the engine cranks.

The problem now is i have a dead battery.

TIMING BELT?Might have skipped...check the timing see if the gears line up.

the guy i got it from did the timing belt a few months ago. Are there dots on the cam gears that line up on the valve cover, or what?

well your car is not a carburetor so pumping the gas does nothing but open and close the throttle.

but +1 on the MAF senor. i suspect it might be dirty, loose or disconnected.

CAS or Timing might have jumped.check that.

On this car, if the crank angle sensor is bad, wont it cause a no spark?

The exhaust cam and intake cam are lined up as well as the crank. The maf is plugged in and the filament is not dirty. I found 3 connectors behinde the intake but have no clue where they go, they were hanging there when i got the car.

here is a pic of the maf, and the connectors behinde the manifold and TB

still wont start

Attachments

• SANY0028.JPG
    SANY0028.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 250
  • SANY0029.jpg
    SANY0029.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 76
I have spark and fuel pressure, and verified the pump is working. The car cranks over and will only sputter if i pump the gas pedal to the floor and back while cranking it.

If you didn't have spark I'd say check the CAS and Crank sensor.
But since the three main things are Spark, Fuel and compression you can guess the next thing would be to rule out a loss of compression...;)

did a compression test. 1= 128 2 = 125 3 = 122 4 = 124 . This was all done dry.

I dont think it is the MAF, my 2g ran with it unpluged, just ran like crap. If timing skiped most likely it would have thrown compression off quite a bit. It could be flooding. Check you coolant temp sensor if it is bad it could be causing it to read really cold so you ECU will tell it to add more fuel.

Also check to make sure you're getting enough fuel. My no start ended up being low fuel pressure (but I was getting fuel to the rail). It could also be flooding it. Do you have any form of logger?

Cheapest and easiest thing to do is to throw new plugs in and see if she fires up on those.

could it be just that the batter is to low on amps to start it? its dead now, i have been trying to jump start it but it just cranks and cranks and then it begins to sputter but doesnt fire up. i need to get a new multi meter to check voltage. Is there a test port anywhere on these cars for the fuel pressure? i didnt see one on the rail at all.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Can you get a better picture?
Or at least let us know what color the wires are that connect to those connectors?

My first guess is your problem is with the ECT sensor.

i can try yo after work, it is right behind the throttle body. all 3 of them are grouped together.

i actually just had this problem the engine was very flooded. I got the car started eventually, but it wont stay running on its own, i think because the plugs are shot, and the ECU may be in limp mode.

Last edited:
+1 to all of this my car cranks over and over and after a pump or two with the gas pedal (maybe lets more air in if its trying to flood) it sputters and runs really crappy but after getting it going and driving around if i shut the car off for even half an hour and go back out to start it... she fires right up! WTF?!? i will let you all know if i figure anything (compression spark and fuel pump all good as well....)

Im having the same issue with my car...95 tsi. It stopped turning on one day. Its getting fuel, and its getting spark. Itll turn on when starting fluid is sprayed into the manifold..but will die again after a few seconds. If I keep spraying the fluid into there little by little, itll stay running, but then eventually die out...so anyone with anymore input on this thread would be great. Since we got a few people in here with the same issue..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back