The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

95 GST has no power to many things after wire tuck and relocation.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95DsManiac

Proven Member
Dec 5, 2012
Bay Point, California
Hey all,

I have posted this in the electrical tech forum and have not gotten any real help so I am looking here to see if I can get some help from you all. I am going to copy and paste my original post and then a copy to the link of the thread in the electrical tech forum.

95 GST no power to many things after Build/ReWire
Hey all,

First and foremost I have been searching and reading for two days and nothing has helped.

Over the past four months I have building my gsT for 700hp and since having it stripped down to just the frame I decided to do a wire tuck and delete things etc.... Well two days ago I finally finished and went to start her for the first time and the car wouldn't even turn over. I didn't even get power to anything but the head lights and break lights etc.

The car would beep if the door is open. When I put the key in the ignition it would make a noise as well, but when I turn it over nothing happens at all. No engine light, no stock gauges move etc.

I am getting no power to the ecu power pins and or power back up pin. I am getting 12v at pins 4 & 8 on the MPI relay. All connectors are connected as far as I can tell and things that were deleted wouldn't cause the car to do this. It was simple stuff like egr, fpr, fogs, clutch fluid switch, evap, front o2 etc nothing of any need.

What I need help with is where should I be checking? I know this may seem dumb to you all, but you couldn't start to imagine how big of a toll this is taking on me and and I am beyond stressed out. I can't sleep at night and my past two days have been horrible because of this. I have a lot of sponsors waiting to see some videos and progress of this car before they sponsor me and help me go after fastest FWD DSM in the world. I really need help with this because my brain is moving to fast and I honestly can't seem to figure this out by myself and need your help.

I'm a novice when it comes to electrical so what I would need to know is exactly what wire to test/check and how to do it. I went out today and spent $100 on a dam multimeter to figure this out. When telling me what to, I would also appreciate it if you can wak me through it like; put the negative pin on pin blank and out positive pin on pin blank etc etc. Sorry if this all seems like too much but I need the help guys/gals.

I am going to be checking more in the next two or three hours and will be checking this every ten minutes to see if I get any replies.

Thanks a million.

Anthony B.

The post in burgundy is the original post I posted in the electrical tech forum.

The link below is to that thread. I hope I'm not confusing anyone. And again, I'm only posting it here because I am not getting the help I need in the electrical tech forum so no bashing or saying anything that isn't relevant to this thread. Thanks.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/ele...-no-power-many-things-after-build-rewire.html

Anthony B.

Do you have a wiring schematic of the vehicle? Where did you relocate your fuse boxes to? Check all the simple stuff first... good battery voltage, all grounds are connected, the thick gauge power wires are connected to the fuse blocks, all fuses are good. Take your multimeter (red) to the positive battery terminal and then the (Black) to different grounding points and make sure your completing the circuit (a known good grounding spot on the body or engine should show 12V). Once you have a schematic, just check common reference points to where there should be a good 12V source and work your way back. Could be as easy as a broken wire. If your not the greatest at wiring, who did your wire tuck and how was it done. Im assuming it wasnt just twisted and electrical taped :).

You've done so much to the wiring only you could find whats happened. Unfortunately i believe you will have to start tracing down each and every wire. You probably swapped a wire or something. That could cause a ton of problems. Maybe swapped more than 1? Who knows.
I have had this cross my mind when im planning my rebuild: doing wire tuckand fuse box relocation all at once. Its a lot to do at once.

But atleast you know for sure that everything was working before the tuck so you know its most likely not a bad component but rather its in the wiring. Its going to come down to you "ringing" each wire individually. By ringing I mean set it to ohms and put one lead on one end of the wire and the other lead on the other end. Very easy, may need a 27ga needle and some alligator clips to help you out but its simple, just tedious. You obviously want to see 0 ohms. If you see "OL" then the wire is broken somewhere.

I'll have to get a schematic because I'm going to need it. I did the wire tuck and fuse box relocation. The fuse box is under the dash and I shortened all wires that I could and deleted everything I didn't need. I did it right, not half assed and just twisted some wires. I actually spent a lot of money on all the fire retardant wire looms and everything needed to make it look really nice. I didn't skip anything because I took my time, sh!t it took me about 70HRS total to get it done. I will check something out today someone told me to check and I will update. Thanks for your reply.

Anthony B.

Not yet sorry. I have been busier then I ever expected to be in the past few days. Me and my wife have moved into our house I want to say 6 months ago and we just finished up the bedroom and living room furniture. And it makes a mess when you get a 6pc bedroom set, because the boxes are so dam huge LOL. So I have been taking care of things around the house and getting ready for the baby to come. We still have to get the crib and things like that and integrate it into the room. Other then that, I feel kinda good taking a break from the car for a few days. I have been working on it non stop everyday for the past four months and I kinda like stepping back and looking at what I did. It also lets me think about every single little thing I did to try and figure out why this electrical thing could have even happened. I'm basically back tracking my steps right now before I touch anything else. I would hate to screw things up more than they already are.

Thanks for the response,

God Bless,

Anthony B.

Update: 11-23-2013 8:47PM Pacific time

I went back at it with the DSM today and started by taking the driver side fender off, and drivers seat for better access to the wires for inspection. I started by checking the big white wire with black strip that goes from the fuse box to the inside fuse box under the dash that gives power to the things I wasn't getting them from. The plug was in fact unplugged and was the reason I wasn't getting no change when I turn the key to the ON position. I got power to the fuel pump and the had spark. I then unplugged the engine fuse and went to prime the car and now I have another problem. The car would not turn over. What I mean is, when I turn the car over the starter would just whine and the car would not turn. I did a quick search and the dam flywheel I purchased from someone on here must have sold me the AWD flywheel. And, I turned the fuel pump on VIA dsmlink just to make sure it worked and it did, but I smelled ethanol really bad, checked under the hood, and gas sprayed all over the engine from somewhere.

So now I have a new series of problems, but fixed the one I was most concerned about. Messed up part is now I have to spend another $250 on a flywheel and have to drop the transmission again ugh..... Beyond stressed out now, but oh well, whatever it takes to get this thing going and get my sponsors to go after the record I am seeking, I will do.

Thanks again for all the help and can someone please mark this thread as solved.

God Bless,

Anthony B.

The plug was in fact unplugged and was the reason I wasn't getting no change when I turn the key to the ON position. I got power to the fuel pump and the had spark.

So now I have a new series of problems, but fixed the one I was most concerned about. Beyond stressed out now, but oh well, whatever it takes to get this thing going and get my sponsors to go after the record I am seeking, I will do.

Good job finding that.

With the goals you have, you're going to to challenged at every step, so don't let it stress you out. Expect the worst so you can be pleased when it doesn't happen and prepared when it does.

Thanks Steve,

I try not to let things get me stressed out. I have worked on the car 300+ days out of the last 365 days and 9 times out of 10 everything goes good. But when it does go bad it is always something big and causes catastrophic failure to certain things and it stresses me out because it's not like I work on it for a couple days then its done. I work on it for over 4 months at a time without driving it and when I get it done I get so excited to start the car again because I really miss driving the car, you have no idea. Sometimes I want to just go out and buy another DSM just to drive it. I love these cars with a passion and I have my son about to be born in the next 3-5 weeks and REALLY REALLY NEED TO GET IT FINISHED. I guess that adds to my stress because I try to do so many things at once and over crowd myself with work.

I set my goals pretty high I know, but trust and believe in me that I will achieve them. I have blind faith when it comes to me chasing this record and will not give up on it. It has started as a goal, but now is one of my dreams I want to come true and I have the will to do so.

Thanks again and God Bless you all,

Anthony B.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back