The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

420A 95 Eagle Talon ESi tranny issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrLubeTuner

Probationary Member
Feb 3, 2011
hamilton, ON_Canada
ok so i bought a 95 esi automatic recently cause it was a hell of a deal.

$500 with replaced engine and trany, both have 80'000km
now after the installation the guy left it there for a few months cause his brother in law no longer wanted to purchase it. so i bought it but its shifting at very high rpm. if i gun it, shifts at like 5000 but if i take her easy it varies between 2500 and 3500. It just doesnt sound right when im driving. no codes come up, no engine light, a tech at a trany shop took it for a boot and gunned it and it hits every gear just at very high rpm.

now ive been reading that there a few common problems with these transmission.
Im leaning towards the TCU is done for.

Please give me some help here really need to know is this is normal or if something is wrong. Also if i were to go through an emissions test as is in ontario, would this cause the vehicle to fail the test.

When is the last time the transmission has been 100% drained, flushed, and had the fluid replaced properly?

Last edited by a moderator:
tranny was flushed and drained not long after installed from what i was told and i did check the colour of the tranny fluid and it was bright pink with no sign of metal shavings

As far as I know, there is a certain way to drain and automatic transmission by allowing it to idle, with your foot on the brake, and slowly go through all of the gears. This should clear the transmission of any fluids left in it locked in passageways and chambers in the transmission. Again, this is from seeing resources and various posts, not personal experience. You may want to check into that.

I do know, however, that one method of this is to remove the line from your oil cooler and place it into a pan/jug. Start the engine and place the transmission in Drive with your foot on the brake. The fluid should flow into the jug. Kill the engine once the fluid stops flowing.

ok thank you for that info i will definitely keep that in mind, does anyone have anything to add in respect to the tcu possibility

The best you can do for the TCU would be to inspect it.

if all else fails and correctly flushing does nothing for it I have a Mopar TCU for the auto tranny sitting in my garage

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back