The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

95 AWD Talon knocking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonToBeDSM06

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 17, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Hey i found an AWD Talon in michigan for $3000. has 131,000 miles on it. brand new tranny, tires, brakes. But he said it is knocking and doesn't know if it is drivable. I think he put a 14b turbo in it and doesn't have a boost controller so he didn't turn up the boost. I really want this car but worried if i can even get it home. its a 345 mile drive. he said it might be some top end knock which i culd find a 2g head and replace it. but if the bearings are knocking or if its the crank then i'm screwed. Help me out you guys thanks

ok today i will ask him if it is coming from the top or bottom b/c if its just lifter tick than how long can i drive with it going on? its a long drive back home and i was going to rebuild the engine in my automotive class at school in the fall so wondering if i can drive with that going on til then i will make sure i won't beat on it. But if its a main bearing or rod then i prob can't drive with it long can i?? and u can put this into the newbie forum if u wish cuz i realize what i'm asking of u guys is dumb but i did search for lifter tick and also main bearings so i did try.

Before you buy with that long of a drive, I'd really bring a compression tester along and make sure that the motor's at least healthy. Also bring a long a can of 4 Cylinder Engine Restore. Drop that in and see if it helps with the tick. If so, then it's lifters. You may also want to see if the ticking sound is coming from the top or bottom end. Bottom end is much worse so be careful.

Drop us a line and let us know what you find.

Andy

is the ticking sound supposed to be loud or just an average tick if it is lifter tick b/c he said it wasn't too loud but its hard to hear where its coming frm?

the easiest way to find out where the knock is ,cut the end of a wooden broom handle,start the car and take it put it up to the engine, ,put ur ear on the end of it and listen,move it around to different spotts, u will be able to hear where the knocking is coming from ,good luck :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back