The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Ticking/Knocking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelSuch

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 30, 2008
Pinckneyville, Illinois
Hey guys, I am having some problems with my car. First off about a month ago I was driving home from work and trashed 2 rod bearings. I rebuilt the motor a little over a year ago and when I took it apart I found out what I did wrong. I put the upper main bearings in the lower main bearing spot and vice versa, so the rods were not getting the proper amount of oil. I got everything back together, checked clearances and everything looks good.

During that time I put in a set of used FP2 cams, 3g lifters (used but never ticked in my other car), Fidanza flywheel, and a Mr. Gasket Copper exhaust manifold gasket. Anyways I've got it running, let it idle for about 20 minute total and change the oil. The oil came out pretty clean, there were some metal shavings (nothing out of the normal for a new build), most likely left over from trashing the rod bearings the last build. I didn't have anything hot tanked or cleaned because I left the head on the block. I drove it about 40 miles and it started ticking. Car has lost no power that I can tell, it's pretty loud at idle, and goes away around 3k rpms or you can hear it very slightly.

I don't think it's a balance shaft (yes they are still in the car), the sound would be twice as fast if it was. It doesn't really have the deep tone of a spun rod bearing or main bearing. I just changed oil again after the 60 mile round trip to work and back and there were barely any shavings. Plus I would think during that trip it would've lost significant power and would've locked up. It holds really good oil pressure. The sound is coming from the head from what I can hear. Specifically around cylinder number 1, maybe 2.

When I was installing the Mr. Gasket copper exhaust gasket I really didn't like the way it sealed, and maybe I installed it wrong. There is a lip (I think it has the o-ring in it), and I faced the lip towards the exhaust manifold. There were no instructions with it and I'm hoping that's where my sound is coming from. Is there anything else it could be? The hydraulic tensioner only has about 28k miles on it with no leakage. It looked brand new. I also put on a new timing belt, idler pulley, balance shaft pulley, and timing tensioner pully. I'm wondering if a valve somehow got bent, could that cause the noise? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Few more things, the timing is dead on. From what I could see there are no collapsed lifters. I pushed on each one and none of them budged. I also removed the intake manifold and there was a slight leak on cylinder #1. I used a planer sander on my exhaust manifold to true the flange and it seemed quite a bit better, also used black RTV to help seal it up. But it is still making the noise. I'm going to try some other lifters just incase, and if that does not help then I'm guessing a balance shaft bearing spun.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back