The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved 91 trans in a 90? - both 22 spline

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikTande

Supporting Member
Dec 17, 2012
Centennial, Colorado
I pulled a trans from a 1991 Talon and it has 22 splines like my 90... Can I use it in my 1990 or are there little differences I'm not seeing? I'll post a couple pics later.

**EDIT** I sold the trans.

Last edited:
You can definitely use it in your 90. There are a ton of threads about what you need to do the switch. I switched everything to 90 when I switched my 90 in. People will argue that you can just swap over xyz 90 part and it will work.

Its very simple, you can use what ever in what ever.

What needs to match:

Both trans and Tcase have to be 22 or 23 splines. If you had a 90 Tcase and a 91 Trans all you would have to do is quickly change the output shaft to a 22 in the trans and then that would work or simply just get a 23 spline tcase and it would match the other way.

There are two shifter brackets on the trans that hold the cables, those two, the shifter cables and the shifter base all must match 90 vs 91 with the corresponding 90/91 trans. Now, you can get creative to turn a 90 or 91 into each other. Just unbolt and swap the select levers between the two trans, that's half the battle. For the shift lever you would weld an extension on a 90 for the longer 91 style shift lever. On a 91 trans you would need to add a 2nd post on the shift lever armature which would make it a 90.

Your shift cable brackets (both of them), shift selector lever and shift cable lever must all be matching.

Post pictures of both transmissions specifically at the two shift levers in detail, and both of your shift cable bracketry.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back