The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

90 Talon Turn signals not working, all 4?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewm

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 4, 2011
Soldotna, Alaska
So I just picked up my first DSM, 1990 talon, replaced the clutch and things are going fine.

But all 4 of my turn signals don't work, I've checked and replaced the fuze. So i'm wondering possibly the switch?

So I figured the first place to start would be checking the voltage on the turn signals, well this got me looking....how on earth do I take out the housing for the front turn signals?

To sum it up:

Question 1: Why won't my turn signals work/any ideas?

Question 2: How do I get the housing/bulb out of the FRONT turn signals.

Haha but seriously its probably a fuse for all four to go out at once. Or possibly a the relay which iirc is under the dash behind the radio.

Edit: well on a 1990 its in the drivers kick panel(just noticed you have a 90)

The fuse is fine (said that in the OP)

And I am honestly not sure if all of them wen't out at once, they were all out when I bought it. So I am making the assumption that they all wen't out at once.

So fuse is good, so that leaves flasher and relays?

How do I check the flasher? (i'm definitely a new to electrical so sorry if its a dumb question)

And last but not least, I want to know how to change the bulb in the turn signal, wasn't sure if I had to take the whole assembly out or not.

Thanks!

Do the emergency flashers work?

I didn't try the 4ways, (i'll try em and report back later)

If they do work what could it be?

If the hazards work then it leaves the multifunction switch on the steering column. What would help is the get a wiring diagram of the lights and you can eliminate everything that works and everything that you have checked to be good. That will leave you with what else you need to check in the wiring and should narrow down the faulty part or wiring.

I twist the bulb out? from the back? I can't even get my hand in there. (remember I have 1G) so it has pop-up head lights.

So that whole housing covers up the bulb area (as far as I know)

And also, just checked the car. The 4-ways do work. Soo its just my signal switch?

Do the lights come on and just not flash??

If so, It's probably your flasher or check that the hazard switch is still plugged in.. It's part of the circuit and will cause the flasher to not function if not plugged in.

If the hazards work, the bulbs work. If the hazards work, the flasher works. I'm pretty sure they share the same flasher. Ill have to dig up a manual to check, but I'm still leaning on a faulty multifunction switch.

To get to the light all you need is a phillips(star) driver. Pop your lights. First take out the 2 screws holding the center piece(where the emblem is) then theres one screw holding the clear plastic where your headlights shine through, once thats out theres one more screw holding the turnlight housing.

On a side note I thought mine weren't working but it ended up being the lights in the dash. I know its sounds stupid but make sure you walk around the car(dont rely just on the arrows in the dash.)

If they dont work take a test light to see if theres power going into the fuse, if theres no power its a short between the batt and fuse box, if theres power check the combo switch(if you have a steeringwheel puller) if not go to the conector(check both where the wire goes in as well inside the conector)if theres power at the wire but not in the conector you need a conector(captain obvious moment). If theres no power at all then theres a short(and probably the combo switch. If there is power check your ground wires. If that doesnt help solve it check power at the flasher unit and relay.

If you can tell me wheres theres power and not then i can pin point it for you I got the wiring diagrams.

All right I feel stupid, right before I got the car up and running I took out the center console, because i'm re-doing the interior of the car.

Well I knew that the turn signals shared a circuit with the hazards, but it didn't register that taking that console out might be my issue.

So when I get home tonight i'll plug in my hazards and see if the turn signals are working.

Thanks for the help everyone!

(If this does fix it i'll post SOLVED tomorrow)

Ok, so I put the hazard switch back on. And they still flash. But the turn signals won't go. So i'm going to make the assumption its the switch in the steering column.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back